Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore 2006 Stretched Timing Belt

davidlloyd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore sv6
I have just been told that I have a streched Timing Belt and it is going to cost me thousands to get it fixed, how much should it cost to repair ?

VNSSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5ltr
Currently I'm going through the same dramas. I am getting a lot of information together to put in my 5 cents worth to Holden. Do you reckon current affair would like to do a story on why the Australian car market is going so poor?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Firstly. VE's dont run a belt.
Secondly: Thousands is right

VNSSMAN: This has NOTHING to do with why the Australian car market is going so bad. Rising fuel prices and families different needs are what have caused a shift away from larger sedans and wagons. Just because a FEW out of the THOUSANDS of cars which Holden sell in a year is no reason for a recall nor any action outside of warranty.

You've got a car which is by no stretch of the imagination "New" which has developed a fault, a fault which Holden recognised and fixed those cars which had a problem mostly during warranty. What you're suggesting is the same as saying "Every LS1 with piston slap,even over 10 years later Holden should still fix the problem because they knew about it."

VNSSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5ltr
I think your wrong Sabbath, what part of the country do you live in? Do you even have a commodore? Your picture displays an imported car. People ask what car I have bought an I tell them commodore and then say well there is your problem. Because they know what there like. In the last 2 weeks of knowing about this problem I have read of at least 50 people going through the issue. And then there are those who don't use the net and have these issues. So there could be thousands, mostly all running out of warranty because people dont get the problem till about 90 000+ks. The other thing I would like to ask is why do you get pms on this forum? We knew this guy was talking about chains why do you have to have a fit and say its not a belt? Dude have a chill pill and go finish your apprenticeship

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
so what your saying is that you wanna burn holden for a known problem that was a chain suppliers product fault?? cars have design flaws, almost every model has issues, regardless of the make..
you can go to holden with whatever you like, but if you buy any car thats almost out of warranty and dont opt for the extended factory warranty, your kinda asking to fork out for repairs??
also if your local dealer doesnt want to help you out with your car, find one that does.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I think your wrong Sabbath,
My wrong what????

what part of the country do you live in?
It says right above my post
Do you even have a commodore?
Again, it says right above my post
Your picture displays an imported car.
And Minux has a Teddy Bear in his. Dont get where you're going with that?
People ask what car I have bought an I tell them commodore and then say well there is your problem.
Change the people you talk to?
Because they know what there like.
Where?
In the last 2 weeks of knowing about this problem I have read of at least 50 people going through the issue.
50 out of how many?
And then there are those who don't use the net and have these issues. So there could be thousands, mostly all running out of warranty because people dont get the problem till about 90 000+ks.
They will ALL be out of warranty now. It's an issue with early model VE's. (only talking about VE's here) and the problem was rectified in later builds.
The other thing I would like to ask is why do you get pms on this forum?
You're the one having the hissy fit mate, not me.
We knew this guy was talking about chains why do you have to have a fit and say its not a belt?
Did HE know it was a chain and not a belt? Maybe i said that to educate him? Did you ever think of that?
Dude have a chill pill and go finish your apprenticeship
You're the one calling for ACA/TT to come and take a video of you standing next to your car with the bonnet up so you can rant at them about how this is why the Australian Car Industry is going down the toilet. And they would lap it up because them, like you, love mis-information. Like i said before. The Aussie car industry isnt flailing because a manufacturer wont do warranty repairs on a 5 year old car. And if you think that that is why then...wow...just wow.

Apprenticeship is all finished. So you could say im more "Qualified" to comment on these issues than you.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Currently I'm going through the same dramas. I am getting a lot of information together to put in my 5 cents worth to Holden. Do you reckon current affair would like to do a story on why the Australian car market is going so poor?

More to do with the global economy and the strong Australian dollar destroying a decade of planning than stretched timing chains in the early alloytechs.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Firstly. VE's dont run a belt.
Secondly: Thousands is right

VNSSMAN: This has NOTHING to do with why the Australian car market is going so bad. Rising fuel prices and families different needs are what have caused a shift away from larger sedans and wagons. Just because a FEW out of the THOUSANDS of cars which Holden sell in a year is no reason for a recall nor any action outside of warranty.

You've got a car which is by no stretch of the imagination "New" which has developed a fault, a fault which Holden recognised and fixed those cars which had a problem mostly during warranty. What you're suggesting is the same as saying "Every LS1 with piston slap,even over 10 years later Holden should still fix the problem because they knew about it."

it's easy to say this if you are not the one that has to fork out a couple grand for this

Last edited:

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
I had to fix the issue of a stretched timing chain some 1-2 years ago also. Short answer is yes it can cost 1-2k from I was told at the time.

I was however fortunate enough to have a dealership here in Melbourne who knew what the problem was exactly and what to fix. Originally I was told that Holden would fit 100% of the bill (warranty) but did change their mind the next day. The end result was that we split the bill 80/20. I paid the 20% which in my case amounted to a couple hundred bucks. Was better than nothing.

Mine is a 2006 VE Calais with 195kw engine. When the timing chain stretched and required replacement the car had done about 75,000. It's now up to 155,00kms and no problems with the chain since replacement.

Holden were actually pretty good throughout the process. They didn't actually have to pay a majority of my bill as the warranty had actually expired 3 months earlier but they still chipped in towards the end without a fuss. As said by others and Sabbath previously, Holden can't be expected to make the perfect car without faults. I took this problem no worries and got it fixed. It comes under the heading of **** HAPPENS!