Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE door speakers mounting depth

JordanL568

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega series 1 3.6L
What’s the maximum mounting depth for the door speaker in a ve commodore I was looking at getting 6.5 inch 44mm deep speakers just wanted to know if they’d fit because the spacer’s say that 32 mm is the maximum depth but most speakers I’ve looked are are 42mm at least

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
What’s the maximum mounting depth for the door speaker in a ve commodore I was looking at getting 6.5 inch 44mm deep speakers just wanted to know if they’d fit because the spacer’s say that 32 mm is the maximum depth but most speakers I’ve looked are are 42mm at least
The mounting depth (on my Alpine's (S-S65) is 57.7mm, and I have the rear of the speaker protected from internal door water splash with a foam cover that would be about 5mm min. So not sure where 32mm is coming from? Of course, I had to ensure I didn't impede the window lifter or glass itself. As to maximum depth I'm not sure - but my setup does not leave much room behind the foam.

I did however have to alter the included brackets which probably pushed my installation out towards the driver by about 10mm (but still fits the default speaker cover grille). Still, I'd certainly think you have room. Lastly, from what I can remember even the default GMH speakers would be deeper than 32mm. Maybe this 32mm is the recommended max depth?

ss65_dim.jpg

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The mounting depth (on my Alpine's (S-S65) is 57.7mm, and I have the rear of the speaker protected from internal door water splash with a foam cover that would be about 5mm min.
Never knew getting speakers wet was an issue, unless it's a thing to do with splits?

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Never knew getting speakers wet was an issue, unless it's a thing to do with splits?
When window seals are good and plastic dust/water cover is young, not a problem. Below is what happens when water runs the wrong way/is blocked etc etc. This is the drivers side door stock speaker:
IMG_1725.jpeg

I found the rest of the speakers similar. The rears were only slightly better. The door itself was absolutely fine. But I could clearly see old watermarks all over the speaker rear (note completely rusted and broken connection). I've replaced all window seals and all dust covers, and also added some waterproof tape to holes in the door where water could drip down (easily removable to service door).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wow, I've never seen that. I submerged the speakers in muddy bog holes at least three or four times in my old Jeep and they worked great after drying them out. I went with standard Pioneer 2 way coaxials in the boat recently after years of never having a corrosion issue.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Wow, I've never seen that. I submerged the speakers in muddy bog holes at least three or four times in my old Jeep and they worked great after drying them out. I went with standard Pioneer 2 way coaxials in the boat recently after years of never having a corrosion issue.
Yes, I was a bit surprised myself. I have a feeling speaker connections today must have a different coating, or something of that nature... All I know is that when I tried to remove the connector - the whole lot came away. :eek:
Here was I thinking that the speaker not working was a simple re-wire. It turned out to be a can of worms.

JordanL568

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega series 1 3.6L
Ended up figuring out that the spacers I was looking at for mounting give an extra 32 mm not 32 mm total like i thought. kicking my self for needing to ask such a stupid question I should given it a bit more thought before asking.

reading a couple other posts there’s about 70mm of room normally to mount speakers so I’ll have more than enough room to mount the 54mm speakers I got Thanks guys

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
Better to ask a stupid question than to make a stupid mistake.;)
Wasn't stupid anyway, sometimes we need to ask seemingly stupid questions to get the light bulb on. Done it heaps of times!
Glad you got it worked out.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yes, I was a bit surprised myself. I have a feeling speaker connections today must have a different coating, or something of that nature... All I know is that when I tried to remove the connector - the whole lot came away. :eek:
Here was I thinking that the speaker not working was a simple re-wire. It turned out to be a can of worms.

My rear speakers were the same in my old SV6 when I pulled all the door linings off to reseal the plastic backing due to water leaks. The whole connector part was basically disintegrated from rust. No doubt that’s because Holden used the cheapest speakers going, which was evident from the crap paper cones used in the speakers.

Hayden Carrigg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Sportwagon
My rear speakers were the same in my old SV6 when I pulled all the door linings off to reseal the plastic backing due to water leaks. The whole connector part was basically disintegrated from rust. No doubt that’s because Holden used the cheapest speakers going, which was evident from the crap paper cones used in the speakers.
I bought my VE wagon about 3 months ago shortly after I could hear water sloshing in the doors. i checked the drains and they were completely blocked--About 3l of water came out each rear door and the amount of mud in the doors made me think it had been parked in a swamp. both rear speakers had practically disintegrated so I replaced them all with some 6.5" Kicker CSs i got on sale for $100 a pair at Autobarn

IMG_3965.jpg

Last edited: