Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE door speakers mounting depth

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I bought my VE wagon about 3 months ago shortly after I could hear water sloshing in the doors. i checked the drains and they were completely blocked--About 3l of water came out each rear door and the amount of mud in the doors made me think it had been parked in a swamp. both rear speakers had practically disintegrated so I replaced them all with some 6.5" Kicker CSs i got on sale for $100 a pair at Autobarn

View attachment 265364
Nice clean door - like it! I am, however, a bit disappointed that you didn't wipe the top of that speaker bracket! Look at the dust! Tsk tsk. ;)

Yes, the VE door design is not the best for water shedding. One of the keys is to keep the drain holes unblocked. Its not sexy work, but it's important. I remember cleaning out my & my dad's HD/HT/HQ/HJ drain holes. It's always been important.
Another thing is that if the top of your plastic is not sealed securely, and your bottom is... well, you have a problem!
I spent the better half of a day completely cleaning out the door inners. It's the build up that will slowly block the drain holes - little-by-little. The dust cover (plastic) and weather seals will only go so far.

OK, you do feel a bit mad cleaning the inner of a door you don't generally see - but I've been seen vacuuming the engine bay below the plenum for leaves that I can't normally reach - that cause all sorts of problems with blockages/water redirections/rust etc. So I guess I'm mad...

See all those holes in the door above the speaker (put there for various access to the window lifters etc)? I also sealed those off with waterproof tape. It's easy to peel the stuff I used off for any later access. I can't see this would cause any air circulation problem with the door cavities below.

Last edited:

Hayden Carrigg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Sportwagon
Nice clean door - like it! I am, however, a bit disappointed that you didn't wipe the top of that speaker bracket! Look at the dust! Tsk tsk. ;)

Yes, the VE door design is not the best for water shedding. One of the keys is to keep the drain holes unblocked. Its not sexy work, but it's important. I remember cleaning out my & my dad's HD/HT/HQ/HJ drain holes. It's always been important.
Another thing is that if the top of your plastic is not sealed securely, and your bottom is... well, you have a problem!
I spent the better half of a day completely cleaning out the door inners. It's the build up that will slowly block the drain holes - little-by-little. The dust cover (plastic) and weather seals will only go so far.

OK, you do feel a bit mad cleaning the inner of a door you don't generally see - but I've been seen vacuuming the engine bay below the plenum for leaves that I can't normally reach - that cause all sorts of problems with blockages/water redirections/rust etc. So I guess I'm mad...

See all those holes in the door above the speaker (put there for various access to the window lifters etc)? I also sealed those off with waterproof tape. It's easy to peel the stuff I used off for any later access. I can't see this would cause any air circulation problem with the door cavities below.
Bahaha I might take my doors apart and dust them now I've been called out (lol) :p. i took my dash apart to install a head unit kit and the amount of dust under there was surprising too. i'll have a squiz at the seals tomorrow. when I flushed my drains the water just ran straight down the glass and out the bottom of the door... not sure how much sealing my seals are doing lol. the drains are definitely something I will have to keep on top of.

P.s Please ignore the fact the speaker logos are not parallel

Reactions: mtd