Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Radio to VE IQ Setup

ufo8mycow

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VF
Hi,

this has possibly been on the forum before, I have a 2006 VE Omega V Series, can u put the new IQ setup in it?

Thanks

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Can't, it's not backwards compatible.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If you've got the money...anythings possible.

But you would need very deep pockets and not worth it.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I know of at least one person looking in to this...

The current problems with this at the moment are,
1) There is no wiring information currently available (To those that wish to experiment at least).
The workshop manuals that are out there are only covering Series I VEs... Hopefully the VE Series II information gets released soon.

2) Based on Series I Radio Units, your will need to get the IQ System VIN matched to your car...
This is something that I do not think will be supported by Tech 2 - I.E. VIN MAtching an IQ system in a Series I VE... I could be wrong though...
(Which will mean someone will have to learn how to flash the VIN over the CAN, or check / map EEPROMs in the IQ unit if available.

3) These IQ units are not cheap.... Which limits people buying them, and playing around with them.
This will change in the future, as more and more Series II VEs are crashed, and wrecked, but it is definitely too early for that to be happening now....

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Hoping that this can be done one day. Hoepfully all the CAN BUS coding and technical bits haven't changed too much. I am just interested in the touch screen navigation really as I don't like things stuck all over my windscreen - it shits me beyond belief. Personally I believe the series I calais should have had it anyway from factory.

Zerone_V, I believe you can get some people out there to remove the VIN programming from the series I units so shouldn't be hard to ger series II done... I HOPE!!!

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I personally wouldnt bother with the (expensive) factory stuff. The only positive thing about the factory stuff is the HVAC controls.

Otherwise, I would (and did lol) replace the whole kit and kaboodle with the kits you can get for series 1's.

Click here and you can see how mine turned out

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Zerone_V, I believe you can get some people out there to remove the VIN programming from the series I units so shouldn't be hard to get series II done... I HOPE!!!

Yeah, a couple of us have nutted out the VIN stuff / programming, and have been able to fit different clusters and radios to different models.
HSV cluster in an Omega, Colour LCD and Radio (With Climate control working) in both an SS and an Omega...
All this using cheap ($50) off the shelf EEPROM programmers.
We are also publishing everything that we find, so as anyone can have a go, and hopefully have people push the boundaries as to what can be done with this stuff.

I honestly think the IQ stuff will be a matter of time, however, because of the cost of the gear, its hard to justify at the moment....

We are currently trying to work out how to enable the VGA input on the colour LCD screen, by faking the data sent from the factory SAT-NAV CAN gateway module.
This should give us a low res VGA input, as well as a separate volume controlled sound overlay for in car PC functions using the factory hardware...

There is a LOT that can be done with the GM Slow CAN bus, but the people that have worked this stuff out prefer to keep the information private.

We are hoping to crack

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Yeah, a couple of us have nutted out the VIN stuff / programming, and have been able to fit different clusters and radios to different models.
HSV cluster in an Omega, Colour LCD and Radio (With Climate control working) in both an SS and an Omega...
All this using cheap ($50) off the shelf EEPROM programmers.
We are also publishing everything that we find, so as anyone can have a go, and hopefully have people push the boundaries as to what can be done with this stuff.

I honestly think the IQ stuff will be a matter of time, however, because of the cost of the gear, its hard to justify at the moment....

We are currently trying to work out how to enable the VGA input on the colour LCD screen, by faking the data sent from the factory SAT-NAV CAN gateway module.
This should give us a low res VGA input, as well as a separate volume controlled sound overlay for in car PC functions using the factory hardware...

There is a LOT that can be done with the GM Slow CAN bus, but the people that have worked this stuff out prefer to keep the information private.

We are hoping to crack

Hey Zerone, been following your work on programming EEPROMS in the holdens, must say, wicked job! I'll be buying myself an EEPROM programmer and having a decent tackle with these VY clusters ive got sitting at home (havent touched programming since UNI so heres to hoping!)

I've currently got a WM Caprice and wanting to set up a car pc with my Raspberry Pi and a touchscreen overlay. Have you come any closer to getting the VGA input that was used for the factory sat nav working? Only option i can think of at the moment is forking out $350+ to use a VIM programmer from JHP for all of 2 minutes to get VIM working and run it through the rear AUX channel (meaning DVD player wont work anymore..)

Look forward to hearing from you! Not able to PM you for some reason.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I have sniffed a lot of the SW packets, and published what I could find on Carmodder (The thread is many many pages, far too much info to cut and paste here).
In the end I dont know if this was ever really worked out.
I have since sold my S1 headunit, and the factory S1 Sat Nav has been removed from the car. (Im now running an IQ Setup).

I will probably be looking at this again, as the IQ setup also has an RGBS input for the HSV EDI Computer, and I would love to have this input available to play around with,
however its going to be a long time before I will have a crack again at enabling the RGBS Input.

In the meantime, I have seen a couple of S1 Nav systems go on eBay for around $400 mark, which include the NAV Info Gateway module and most of the wiring loom.
Simply connecting the NIM up with the NAV glovebox wiring harness should enable the RGBS (NAV) input on the S1 screen, however what sync/freq etc is required to display anything on the screen is a completely new thing that would need to be worked out.