Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Fuel Pump Change Without Removing Tank

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
WTF....was thinking that they all had removable plate to access f/pump & something weird going on here lol.

bluehighway....yes vt-vz tank drops out by itself.....just make sure tank is emptied out as much as possible & iirc remove rear wheel which makes job so much easier.Quicker ways to do it but on my own found it easiest.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
cutting holes like that in your chassis is asking for a defect that can never be lifted. Drop the tank like you are supposed to.

with VE and VF you have to drop the whole rear cradle (suspension) out of the car if you want to drop the tank(s)
cat back exhaust and the tailshaft too. So says the factory manual .. which is how dealerships do it.
so
I understand the attraction of a hole in a floor (non-structural) pressing

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i'm planning on doing this to my vx this weekend just have to make final placement then i'll use a nibbler to cut the hole
then use some aluminium for a cover seal it and rivet in place

perhaps i'll a write with all the measurements
tenplate.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So glad our Mini has a factory hatch to access the fuel pump when I had to replace it recently.

2XAJPA4.jpeg

Not looking forward to having to deal with it in the VE.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i'm planning on doing this to my vx this weekend just have to make final placement then i'll use a nibbler to cut the hole
then use some aluminium for a cover seal it and rivet in place

perhaps i'll a write with all the measurements
View attachment 247239

Dropping the tank in these models isn't hard, I get why people do it with the VE, VT-VZ the effort to cut a hole would be as much as just undoing the straps and lowering it. The other advantage is you can clean the tank out

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it subframe out with a VE ute? I had a look when replacing a HB cable and I reckon it might pull out by pulling the TS, exhaust and straps.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Is it subframe out with a VE ute? I had a look when replacing a HB cable and I reckon it might pull out by pulling the TS, exhaust and straps.
does the tub come out easy ? or not sure if the tank lowers enough with the subframe still in just to be able to get the module out ? think the module needs about 8-10'' space to be able to come out above it, should be single hose connection (efi type fitting) and plug

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I could be wrong but on my ute it looks like the subframe doesn't sit over the tank at all. It certainly dropped when I pulled the strap. I suspect it would come away easy enough.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I could be wrong but on my ute it looks like the subframe doesn't sit over the tank at all. It certainly dropped when I pulled the strap. I suspect it would come away easy enough.
You need to drop the front of the cradle for clearance to get the tank out.
Remove the forward mount bolts and loosen the rear mount bolts.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You need to drop the front of the cradle for clearance to get the tank out.
Remove the forward mount bolts and loosen the rear mount bolts.
That's a bummer, if I ever need to do it. I thought for sure it would slide forward and down enough. Garage who has replaced a few HB cables on VE sedans reckoned I would need to lower the front of the cradle to replace the cable, where this wasn't the case. I guess it's not a big job to undo a few extra bolts.