Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Ute steering Angle Sensor fault

mazjah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
hi,
i have a 2008 SS Ute manuel and i installed hm headers and after i installed them i got the stability control symbol flash on my dash and beep to let me know that the stability control was off.
i could not turn the stability control back on with the button. when i start the ute i can use the button but sometimes after about 2min warm up the stability control off flashes up or other times it
wont come up until about 100m up the road. when i take off from the curb and full lock to do a u-turn in the street the front right with bind up and make a horrible grinding noise until i touch the
brakes. once again its only happens some times. i got a friend to plug a computer into the ute and it said the ute had a steering arm sensor fault and thats all.
where is the steering arm sensor and has any one had the same noise in the front when turning

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Steering Angle Sensor is under the clockspring on the steering column.

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 S1 SSV UTE
hi,
i have a 2008 SS Ute manuel and i installed hm headers and after i installed them i got the stability control symbol flash on my dash and beep to let me know that the stability control was off.
i could not turn the stability control back on with the button. when i start the ute i can use the button but sometimes after about 2min warm up the stability control off flashes up or other times it
wont come up until about 100m up the road. when i take off from the curb and full lock to do a u-turn in the street the front right with bind up and make a horrible grinding noise until i touch the
brakes. once again its only happens some times. i got a friend to plug a computer into the ute and it said the ute had a steering arm sensor fault and thats all.
where is the steering arm sensor and has any one had the same noise in the front when turning
I know it's an old thread, but I just thought I'd take a chance. I have a similar problem. Did you find out the problem?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The steering angle sensor needs to be recalibrated.

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 S1 SSV UTE
The steering angle sensor needs to be recalibrated.
Done that many times, I get code CD460-5D. Calibrate it and it says, successful, all good, code goes away all on its own.
Start the engine and wait, can activate the Traction Control Switch and watch it turn the traction control on and off many times. Looks good so far, but once I drive off within 5 to 50klm/hr the TC turns of, TC switch now has no effect.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check your battery voltage
Get it load tested
Have the charge circuit checked.
Have battery health checked.

In a low voltage condition, the ECM will ration available voltage and make other priority systems get the voltage. This will generate phantom codes and disable features.

Best to go over that first before diving down rabbit holes.

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I should add that traction control/esp are sone of the first systems to be isolated by the ecm in a low voltage condition.

Reactions: Lex
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 S1 SSV UTE
I should add that traction control/esp are sone of the first systems to be isolated by the ecm in a low voltage condition.
Went to a well-known auto parts group and got a free battery test, the gentlemen said it was excellent.
New alternator 5k ago, at idle 15V, after 12hr rest 12.8V

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Went to a well-known auto parts group and got a free battery test, the gentlemen said it was excellent.
New alternator 5k ago, at idle 15V, after 12hr rest 12.8V
Get the cluster in 'engineering mode' take the ute for a 30 minute run and monitor the voltage.
See if it settles at about 13.8 volts during the run.