Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 "clunk"

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
and btw my pedders is ownd as a franchise wich is owned by a group of very exprienced mechanics and i can move to another arm and work on gearboxes or engines i might quit and go somewhere else like an engine shop and we do services at pedders

Caity05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
RE: the clutch post, it's an auto so that rules that out unfortunately :p

I took Dad for a drive in it today, and still no clunk - I think he thinks I'm imagining things!

I'm kinda determined to find out what I'm doing when it happens so that I at least can give the dealership some kind of useful information, you know? Otherwise I'm worried they're going to look at me (19yo girl) and think I'm some silly girl who knows nothing :p

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
I seem to remember something about the coil springs "sticking" a little on the struts on earlier models, where the spring would settle back into it's normal position with a clunk at times when driving. Perhaps it is something like that?

Caity05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
That would make sense, something like that. It's an '08 model - is that as early as you're thinking? If that's what it is, do you know if there's any way to fix it?

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
I was thinking back even further, my current car (until my SV6 MY10 is delivered) is a vy. I know the spring issue existed on other types too, like the adventra for example. I had a similar suspension noise back during the warranty period on my car, but at that time it was a bent link pin.

Don't hesitate to get it looked at, there are many potential issues underbody that can cause that kind of noise; if nothing else, the techs can easily check all the obvious and dangerous possibilities......if they find nothing then at least you can put it in the "annoying" class and continue to gather evidence for subsequent visits.

Caity05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
Yeah, that's a good point. "Annoying" is better than "Potentially dangerous" ! Might give them a call through the week, will let you guys know how I go!

jono0309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Mine does it too! I look back thinking, did i just hit something? Normally happens when engine is cold but I am not sure, mine is an auto too.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
i had a metal clunk after about a month i bought the car in march 2008, it was in the front end on drivers side, and it was fixed the dealer apparently took all the struts & springs out and also fitted some insulators(there was a techline on it) and never had a problem since.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
i had a metal clunk after about a month i bought the car in march 2008, it was in the front end on drivers side, and it was fixed the dealer apparently took all the struts & springs out and also fitted some insulators(there was a techline on it) and never had a problem since.

They wrap the upper coils with an insulator, stops them knocking. There are also techlines relating to graunching noises when gravel gets stuck in between the spring and strut.

As i said before, take it back to Holden, tell them what's wrong and they'll sort it out, as for wanting to find out for yourself, if you really want to you can chase your tail around, but the easiest thing would be to take it to Holden straight up saves alot of self diagnosis.:thumbsup:

Caity05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6

Mine is a March '08 model so that would make sense ...

They wrap the upper coils with an insulator, stops them knocking. There are also techlines relating to graunching noises when gravel gets stuck in between the spring and strut.

As i said before, take it back to Holden, tell them what's wrong and they'll sort it out, as for wanting to find out for yourself, if you really want to you can chase your tail around, but the easiest thing would be to take it to Holden straight up saves alot of self diagnosis.:thumbsup:

I was just talking to Dad, he's concerned they'll charge me heaps for labour - will that come under warranty also?