Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE timing chain problem

leif72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 06
Have recently bought a ve omega 06 with 90,000 on it, and although it drove well, found the check engine light came on after a few weeks, at the same time noticing a slight rattle in the engine. Went through all the scan tool, oil sensor process to get to the bottom of it, only to find out that the timing chain is stretched and that this is a common problem in in late vz`s , early ve`s. have been advised that im better off getting a new engine as the stretched timing chain could have done other damage, the cost is $4000 for an engine with 50,000 on it, which isnt too bad considering i paid $10,000 for the vehicle, so im still around market value, if id paid $14,000 id be out for blood!, apparently they used a thinner timing chain but rectified this in 09. For a timing chain to stretch after 90,000 kms is rediculous.
Btw, the mechanic i used is a trusted friend and in his search for another engine spoke to alot of other mechanics about this issue, he discovered that those particular engines are known for the timing chain stretching at around the 120,000km mark, depending on how its driven i would guess.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
i got mine fixed here in melbourne for $1700 2 day job. car is fine now. holden charge well over $3000 to do it.. why are u replacing the engine. when there is no need for it. also getting a second hand engine in time u could get the same timing problem with it too. unless its 08 engine. upwards .

leif72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 06
i got mine fixed here in melbourne for $1700 2 day job. car is fine now. holden charge well over $3000 to do it.. why are u replacing the engine. when there is no need for it.

Have heard from not just the mechanic, but other people aswell now, that the stretched timing chain can do other damage to the engine, and like i said, id paid under market value for the car originally (for an obvious reason now), so to spend 4000 still gives me a vehicle around the market value, and peace of mind. If you got onto it early enough i guess just replacing the timing chain could be ok, i had only had it for a month, so have no idea how long the problem was there as the noise wasnt that bad, or how it was driven b4 i got it, guessing it was hard.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Unlikely to have caused damage, just get the chains replaced.

wylie27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim L67
Also doesnt the VE have a problem with the computer where it records an issue with the timing chain and it hasnt actually stretched enough to do damage? If i recall there was a update Holden can do to the computer to change the tolerances.

leif72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 06
And yeah, there`s no way the same engine was going back in, its a late 09.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
But there's nothing wrong with the current engine, just the chains. You're potentially spending twice as much (if not more) than you need to. I'd seriously just replace the chains with the revised part and save yourself over 2 grand. The issue won't happen again with the new timing chains but either way, you'll likely sell it by the time they're stuffed again if that happens.

That's what I'd do, but hell, you could wipe your arse with $100 notes for all I know because money isn't an issue to you.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Once the revised chain goes in the issue will not re arise ever. I have an 09 model which has the revised chain. 120000km of abuse and still going strong.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
More money than sense.