Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE timing chain problem

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
where can u get a crate NON SIDI Engine for $4900. did a search for my mate. and all i could find was SIDI crate engines.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
The only damage a stretched timing chain will do to the engine is allow the pistons to strike the valves, a decent mechanic can replace the timing chain with the new spec unit and do a boroscope look in the motor through the spark plug holes and see if there are any marks on the piston crowns. Why spend money on a second hand motor of which you have no idea about it's history when you can fix the one you have for much less money?

I'd hardly say replacing the motor with a used one is peace of mind, out of ya mind perhaps!

leif72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 06
i got quoted from 2 people for over 3000 to change timing chains, so an extra 800 or so for an engine with 40,000 less km`s on it, wasnt that bad, i was wondering what sort of people got on sites like this, as to what sort of response id get, now i know, just hope it helps someone to read this thread so as to be aware of the timing chain issue on these models, as i wasnt.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Get more quotes. You could easily buy another engine with the same issue.

And next time it pays to research a car before you buy it, not afterwards.

leif72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 06
Fully agree with you, wish i had the time to hunt down a cheaper quote, and yes, i should of researched the car before hand, at the end of the day, ive spent 14,000 on a car thats still worth around that, if id have gotten a quote for 1700 or 2000, i wouldve gone for that though

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
3000 to change a timing chain on an LS engine? Could get a cam put in for that money.