Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Ute 2008 V6 Differential Fill and drain plugs

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
Hi
Does anybody Know where the fill plug is on the differential housing for a VE Ute 2008 V6. I got under to see but could not find a fill plug. I know there filled for life but i want to change the oil. The part number for GM Diff oil is 92184900 it is made in Germany for GM cost is $34.64 a litre. Castrol have one that is a SAF carbon modified oil.
Any help would be appreciated.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Ive got a spare diff sitting in my garage, and will take a photo of the plugs for you soon...

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
Zerone

Thanks for your reply much appreciated. Looking forward to your photo

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Sorry it took a couple of days.

The diff is at the back of my garage, hanging upside down, and the yoke side is away from the camera.

So I did the next best thing, and got the information from the workshop manual.

The Diff Drain and Fill plugs are facing towards the front of the car, so you will need to jack the back of the car up a bit to get under there.

This page has images of the fill and drain plugs, as well as a whole lot of other infomration on replacing the diff. (Something that I am looking at doing these holidays)....
www.carmodder.com • VE Commodore Differential Specifications

Hope this helps...

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
Hi Zerone_v
Thanks for the information your a legend. I was only looking at the back of the differential will be changing oil this weekend. Hope all goes well with yours.
Cheers

Mark17

hotrotor.17
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute 60th Ann
Just Changed the oil in the diff. You have to use a 5/16 or 8mm Hex tool to remove the plugs. The diff takes 1.4 litres of oil to fill useing only GM 92184900 or Castrol SAF Carbon Modified oil. There is a white sticker on the bottom of the diff with all info and ratio of diff etc. The fill and drain plugs are on the drivers side on the side of the differential. Mine was a LSD Y, Ratio 2.92. You also need a very small hand pump to fill the diff. I had a Tom Thumb one litre all purpose utility pump (www.stm.net.au) I think I purchased mine from either Auto 1 or Super Cheap Auto it is perfect for the job.
Hope this info will help those who want to change diff oil in VE Commodores.

Yuksel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Sv6 Series II Commodore
*I did my VR commodore 3.8 litre sedan live axle diff oil change.
The very bottom bolt is the drain bolt (13mm)...you just loosen that bolt and the oil starts draining out.
You should take out the filler plug to make the draining much easier (lets air into system).
Once the old fluid is drained out, re- tighten the drain bolt with a firm twist like you would when tightening an engine oil sump plug. Don't use gorilla force on these bolts as you can strip the diff housing drain bolt hole.
Use a long nose funnel that has a flexible hose and fit it into the filler plug.
I used a 600ml water bottle and used this to pour in diff oil through the funnel. Don't fill bottle to the top otherwise you would spill some out as you are pouring diff oil into the funnel.
3 times of pouring diff oil using 600ml bottle (not filled all the way to the top) equates to about 1.5 litres of diff oil.
You then slowly start adding more diff oil until you start approaching 1.7 litres or as the oil starts dripping out of the filler plug
Pull the funnel out.
Stick your finger in a straight (parallel way) into the filler plug and then pull it out.
If oil is dripping from you finger then the diff oil has reached all the way to the top.
Re fit the filler plug rubber and your done.
Wipe of any diff oil spill or wash it off with degreaser.
*If you are doing diff oil change in an sv6 ve commodore, the procedure is similar but you need an oil transfer pump or large syringe that you can buy from ebay (150ml about $3.50) attach the nozzle to clear tubing and use this to transfer diff oil into the diff housing. Sv6 ve commodores and Chevrolet Camaro's have tight rooms to work on so you need oil transfer pumps and hoses to get around doing this job.