Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore styling

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
The rear end is concept only... Remember a road car has to have the exhaust out the rear which will look a LOT better than that rediculous difuser.

I also think the lights will look better once the diffuser is changed. Cover up the bottom half of the rear end and it looks good I reckon. Get rid of the spoiler... Pontiac G8 style is better.

No way will they get the green light for using HSV gear though.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Could you please explain why Holden and HSV are experiencing record sales? Media hype aside, the large car market sales aren't falling - they just aren't number 1 any more because fleets are turning to the likes of the Toyota Corolla.

CSP

I'm sorry, but that is "head in the sand" thinking. HSV are selliing around 5000 cars per year, a record for them, certainly not for a complete market. Holden are selling "record" numbers of V8's, when their total sales are falling year by year, and the large car market continues to shrink. So lots of people are still lbuying V8 Holdens. "Lots", that is, compared to previous years, when V6 sales were much better and Holden were selling arond 4,500 to 5,000 cars per month. Nowadays, they sell around 3,000 to 4,00o per month, a crappy little Toyota is beating the sox off them and even a bloody Toyota truck can take top spot on the market! I hate to think of Holden falling further, but if it wasn't for the exports of Commodores, local sales probably would fall to the point where the production of Commodores was no longer profitable. Not this year, but if sales continue to fall, then possibly by late 2009.

Falling sales are facts, not newspaper hype. Holden held about 15% of a record market last year, Toyota held about 21%. That means Holdens sales (all Holdens, not just Commodores) totalled 150,000 or so for the year. Thats about 12500 cars per month. Commodore accounted for about one third of that total - average around 4200 per month.

I know it's a long time ago, but the HQ sold 495,000 cars in 45 months. That's 11,000 HQ's per month. At the same time, the LJ and LH Toranas were available. I don't know what their sales totalled, but these were all Australian made cars. That's a hell of a lot more Australian made cars selling month after month than Holden is selling now. Other models, particularly Commodores, have had great sales records, though not like the good old days of the early 70's. Face facts - Holden are selling less and less Commodores each year than the previous year - it's not "media hype"!

Private buyers of large Holdens are drying up - if they can't sell enough of them, they need to do something to get people back into large cars, and just restyling existing bodies won'd do it.

Someone else said that Holdens are too heavy to pull a four cylinder. If that's the case, how come Mercedes, Audi, BMW and various other Euro's do it so successfully? Their cars aren't lighweight - they reach upwards of 1.7-1.8 tonnes, just like the Commodore, and fly with turbo diesels and modern transmissions.

Referring to past four cylinder Holdens doesn't compare to the engines of today. Look back at the absolutely rotten excuse for an engine Holden used - the 1.9 Misfire was probably the crudest, most ancient engine ever released and all it did was ensure that "four cylinder Commodore" were three dirty words. It would never be like that again. Any four that appears under a Commodore bonnet will be the latest technology, hooked up to up to date transmissions, and fitted into bodies that undergo major lightening programmes through the incorporation of lightweight and expensive steels and alloys.

Holden doesn't have any choice - it's either go down that road or die as a local designer and manufacturer. Ford will go the same way, but I think the Falcon is dead by 2012 anyway.

Last edited:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Someone else said that Holdens are too heavy to pull a four cylinder. If that's the case, how come Mercedes, Audi, BMW and various other Euro's do it so successfully? Their cars aren't lighweight - they reach upwards of 1.7-1.8 tonnes, just like the Commodore, and fly with turbo diesels and modern transmissions.

How about compare the Euro cars that are actually the SAME SIZE as the Commodore, because the 4 cylinder models are tiny by comparison. 4 adults and luggage for 4 adults cannot be comfortably accomodated in a Euro 4 cylinder Mercedes or BMW. I know, My Auntie has the latest C-Class. Yes, its a nice car. It is limited to 98RON petrol though, minimum standard for most European cars and its fuel economy is WORSE than my 6.0 Litre LS2 V8 Clubsport.

I dont have a problem with sales falling because there will ALWAYS be a market in this country for a large family sized car. We are unique in the distances we travel on the roads. Driving from Sydney to Melbourne in a C-Class 4 cylinder Mercedes? NO THANKS!!! If you drove that far in Europe youd have travelled through 8 different countries!!! Fact is their cars are not built for Australian driving. Sure theyre fine around town, but beyond that is where Falcon and Commodore will always win!

Holden doesn't have any choice - it's either go down that road or die as a local designer and manufacturer. Ford will go the same way, but I think the Falcon is dead by 2012 anyway.

You couldnt be any more wrong if you tried! The new direct injection V6 that will almost certainly replace the Alloytec in the VF will be more economical than most Toyota Corollas, Mistsubishi Lancers etc etc on a combined hwy/city cycle. Just because it has 4 cylinders doesnt mean it's more economical.

There has ALWAYS and will ALWAYS be a market for a large family 6 cylinder (or equally, alternatively powered) car in Australia.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Replace 6cyl and V8 Commodores with 4cyl and TDi?????

:yeah:aaaahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:yeah:

Lets do a simple comparison here:

Holden/HSV
SSV 5.4 s
Clubsport 4.9 s

And now your euros ... compelling evidence supporting your 4-pot and turbo diesels case ... NOT!!!

Mercedes
E200K Elegance 9.6 s
E240 Classic 8.6 s
E220 CDI Classic 10.3 s
E270 CDI Elegance 8.7 s

BMW
520i Sport 9.6 s
523i Sport 9.0 s
525i Sport 8.4 s
520d Sport 8.4 s
525d Sport 8.0 s

Audi
2.0T FSI S Line 8.4 s
2.4 SE 8.9 s
2.8 FSI S Line 8.3 s
2.0 TDI S Line 10.0 s

Do you notice anything here??????? ummm halve the cylinders.... double the time!

I like owning a V8... I'm prepared to use more fuel to do it.

What I don't like is some hairy-armpitted, flat shoed, bib and brace overall-wearing dreadlocked hemp loving dyke telling me that I don't have a right to do so. While she gets around in a '74 combie blowing plumes of oil smoke into her sacred atmoshpere.

"land rights for one-legged lesbian whales maaaan!":thumbsup:

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
VYII Berlina.... I just picked this up off the side of the road... saw it fly off your rear parcel shelf!

Attachments

• 3Avenel2107.jpg
    3Avenel2107.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 370

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
LOL!!! Classic Simon!!! :thumbsup:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I

You couldnt be any more wrong if you tried! The new direct injection V6 that will almost certainly replace the Alloytec in the VF will be more economical than most Toyota Corollas, Mistsubishi Lancers etc etc on a combined hwy/city cycle. Just because it has 4 cylinders doesnt mean it's more economical.

There has ALWAYS and will ALWAYS be a market for a large family 6 cylinder (or equally, alternatively powered) car in Australia.

Well, that's your opinion, but if sales of conventional Commodore/Falcon sized cars fall below a certain level, they will die. There is a point at which they cease to be profitable - witness the Mitsu 380 - and no matter how much noise traditional Holden/Ford owners make, the factory will cease making cars that no longer make the bucks. I accept your point that large cars can survive, but only if powered by alternative means.

Your argument regarding the direct injection V6 only holds weight if sufficient people decide to go back to large cars. If the market has become indoctrinated with "four is best - stuff the rest", V6 market share will still diminish.

We could go around for hours arguing this point and not agree. Of this I am certain - if we debate the issue again in 2015, I'll be proven to have been a lot more correct than you will.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Replace 6cyl and V8 Commodores with 4cyl and TDi?????

:yeah:aaaahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:yeah:

Lets do a simple comparison here:

Holden/HSV
SSV 5.4 s
Clubsport 4.9 s

And now your euros ... compelling evidence supporting your 4-pot and turbo diesels case ... NOT!!!

Mercedes
E200K Elegance 9.6 s
E240 Classic 8.6 s
E220 CDI Classic 10.3 s
E270 CDI Elegance 8.7 s

BMW
520i Sport 9.6 s
523i Sport 9.0 s
525i Sport 8.4 s
520d Sport 8.4 s
525d Sport 8.0 s

Audi
2.0T FSI S Line 8.4 s
2.4 SE 8.9 s
2.8 FSI S Line 8.3 s
2.0 TDI S Line 10.0 s

Do you notice anything here??????? ummm halve the cylinders.... double the time!

I like owning a V8... I'm prepared to use more fuel to do it.

What I don't like is some hairy-armpitted, flat shoed, bib and brace overall-wearing dreadlocked hemp loving dyke telling me that I don't have a right to do so. While she gets around in a '74 combie blowing plumes of oil smoke into her sacred atmoshpere.

"land rights for one-legged lesbian whales maaaan!":thumbsup:

A couple of points to ask here.

One - you seem to consider that the ability to accelerate is the most important issue here. I would expect such a view from a forum that is heavily V8 oriented - no problem with that. But acceleration is certainly not the most important consideration in the future of the car, no matter how much you may consider it is. The world is looking to stretch its fuel resources out as long as possible and rapid acceleration isn't a particulary effective means of achieving that. You may be prepared to use more fuel to achieve your desired driving performance, but whether you like it or not, you and all other V8 owners are in the minority and your desires won't count for diddly one day.

The second point is - whose the fugly Kombie driver you refer to?

I should make a point clear here. I have had a number of V8 Holdens over the years, and obviously, my current drive has a V6. I don't drive an econobox and don't want to. I like the comforts of my Berlina and as I'm 6'4" tall, I need the space of a larger car. I know and accept that it is going to become increasingly expensive to drive that car, and the car's value is dropping each year, bigtime. I don't hate V8's. I just don't NEED a V8 and can't understand why the local manufacturers are building cars today with bigger and more powerful V8's than at any time in their history. Sorry guys, it just doesn't make sense.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
I just don't NEED a V8 and can't understand why the local manufacturers are building cars today with bigger and more powerful V8's than at any time in their history. Sorry guys, it just doesn't make sense.

You may not need or want a V8 but record sales (that continue to rise) and an ever increasing demand for MORE performance is what drives manufacturers to deliver.

Let's face it, the overwhelming MAJORITY of V8 sales from Holden and HSV are for private buyers. Fleets stick with V6 or have downsized away from the Commodore altogether. Now while the large family 6 market may end up becoming un-profitable for car makers, the large muscle car will always have a place on the market. The buyers dont factor in fuel costs because frankly they dont care!

It makes perfect sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.