Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF HID hi beam

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Most of the time I have issues with Merc's or Audi's blinding me because of the intensity of their light, so what's the difference if mine are going to do the same to them? The washers and auto-leveling does nothing to stop it.
Makes you no better than them!

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
They certainly don't help anything in daylight.

They don't. But in fog, like on Tuesday when it was foggy until early afternoon, they help massively with visibility of the other cars in the fog.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Proper fog lights are yellow. They will be the thing to have in fog. Driving lights, which is what most are talking about, are different.

J

Jingle Bells

I've never once been dazzled by another driver's fog lights. I don't understand what the issue is..

Maybe you have glaucoma. ( Tunnel Vision. ) ???????.....if you can see the light at the end of the tunnel...it is generally a train coming not fog lights...understand?

Last edited by a moderator:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I don't think that people who live in populated areas are really qualified to talk about what will and won't provide good vision in country areas at night. Where I live if you turn your lights off it is black. The more light the better when your in the sticks.

I grew up in the sticks, drove a '67 HR Holden with standard issue SEALED BEAMS - never had an issue.

If you can't see properly at night it's probably because you are going blind, get your eyes tested.

Now that I live in a built up area - heck I could drive with no lights without an issue but people would probably run into a Black Clubby :)

Lights that are TOO BRIGHT - ie turn night into day for their field of view are worse than those that are at a regular factory level of brightness, why? Because they effect your eyes and the natural built in nightvision you have, the eye adapts to light quicker than it adjusts to darkness.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/eye/eyes-adjust-darkness.htm

Rhodopsin is the key to night vision -- it is the chemical that the rods use to absorb photons and perceive light. When a molecule of rhodopsin absorbs a photon, it splits into a retinal and an opsin molecule. These molecules later recombine naturally back into rhodopsin at a fixed rate, and recombinati#on is fairly slow.
So, when you expose your eyes to bright light, all of the rhodopsin breaks down into retinal and opsin. If you then turn out the lights and try to see in the dark, you can't. The cones need a lot of light, so they are useless, and there is no rhodopsin now so the rods are useless, too. Over the course of several minutes, however, the retinal and opsin recombine back into rhodopsin, and you can see again.
A fun fact: The retinal used in the eye is derived from vitamin A. If a person's diet is low in vitamin A, there is not enough retinal in the rods and therefore not enough rhodopsin. People who lack vitamin A often suffer from night blindness -- they cannot see in the dark.

But whatever people keep derping on about their uber bright lightbars and stupid HID's all the while blinding other drivers.

vl_nick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon, VF Redline
The reason I am considering upgrading headlights is certainly not because I can't see where I am going, that is not my issue, I can see just fine. The types of roads I drive on are high risk wildlife areas. Some roads are lit, some are not, some are built up areas, some are not. I want every possible chance to see wildlife at the earliest opportunity. Viewing distance and spread are what I am hoping to improve.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
The reason I am considering upgrading headlights is certainly not because I can't see where I am going, that is not my issue, I can see just fine. The types of roads I drive on are high risk wildlife areas. Some roads are lit, some are not, some are built up areas, some are not. I want every possible chance to see wildlife at the earliest opportunity. Viewing distance and spread are what I am hoping to improve.

It's like you didn't even read what I posted.

Going off the "I need things to be as bright as possible for as far as possible" destroys your nightvision. If your lights are too bright you will not even see shapes or things just outside the fov of your lights - at all.

Quoted again for emphasis.

So, when you expose your eyes to bright light, all of the rhodopsin breaks down into retinal and opsin. If you then turn out the lights and try to see in the dark, you can't. The cones need a lot of light, so they are useless, and there is no rhodopsin now so the rods are useless, too. Over the course of several minutes, however, the retinal and opsin recombine back into rhodopsin, and you can see again.

vl_nick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon, VF Redline
I appreciate your point of view, though in my point of view if I have excellent distance and light spread then objects out of my fov are of less importance. I will see them earlier than I would otherwise. From experience driving identical cars with either standard halogen lights or Bi-Xenon lights I know which I would prefer.

Each to their own.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
I appreciate your point of view, though in my point of view if I have excellent distance and light spread then objects out of my fov are of less importance. I will see them earlier than I would otherwise. From experience driving identical cars with either standard halogen lights or Bi-Xenon lights I know which I would prefer.

Each to their own.

I wasn't arguing a POV merely throwing science at you.