Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
A heap of businesses relied on the automotive industry, and supply of their Stuff went to places like CCP Land when the industry was let go.
My wife was planning our landscaping when we bought a house circa 2014 and had planned on getting some faux sleepers made of a pulp that was 90% recycled plastic (but of recycled wood chucked in for good measure) … by 2015 when we wanted to buy them, the company had shut down, as a reasonable proportion of it relied on the car industry … and there was no similar equivalent from an Aussie supplier.

For some reason your post had me recalling something I heard about 15 years ago.

I was working in research and I recall one of the business development managers telling me about the Australian automotive industry, and that it was teetering on the brink of collapse (even though it wasn’t generally apparent that that time). It wasn’t so much about the three manufacturers who were operating at the time, but the myriad of small manufacturers who were supplying these three manufacturers. The thing I recall was that it was predicted that once one of the three major car manufacturers folded, the other two would soon follow. The issue was that the volume of parts required would put those smaller parts manufacturers below a critical supply volume and that this would lead to the other two manufacturers folding. I must admit that I didn’t fully understand the ins-and-outs of this prediction at the time, but it certainly played out exactly as predicted (about a decade before it happened).

It seems that the country is now way below a critical mass in parts manufacturing, so it‘s probably going to be hard to have someone else step in and fill a void (where even the incumbent found it difficult to survive).

Maybe we - the Just Commodores community - can set up a not-for-profit way of keeping our cars alive?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
There was meant to be 10 years worth of bumpers and panels for the VF when Holden was shutting down and stored in Adelaide warehouses for HSPO. I remember they spent a **** load on Cardboard to store all the excess stock.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
There was meant to be 10 years worth of bumpers and panels for the VF when Holden was shutting down and stored in Adelaide warehouses for HSPO. I remember they spent a **** load on Cardboard to store all the excess stock.

There was a 2017 ish article about Trident when I was doing some research about them, in which they signed a 14 year deal with Holden Spare parts to manufacture "all its plastic auto parts", so who knows what they made outside of bumpers. One has to wonder where all these parts ended up. I mean there is some crap drivers out there but surely 10 years of bumpers didnt just vanish!

Tin foil hat me is somewhat suspicious of parts resellers, like OPG and Holmart. Seems they have bought up large amounts of stock, then drip feeding it out with enormous mark ups to create the illusion of shortages or no stock remaining.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Well over a year ago trident had an issue with the vf2 bumper supply which took over 6 months to resolve. They won't keep 10yrs of stuff, I know there are bins of old panel stock being turfed at Elizabeth

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Some bright spark at GM would of come up with an idea recently advising I can save $$$ by getting rid of excess parts sitting in a warehouse because we have too much stock sitting around but not looking what the initial purpose was to have the stock in the first place.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Some bright spark at GM would of come up with an idea recently advising I can save $$$ by getting rid of excess parts sitting in a warehouse because we have too much stock sitting around but not looking what the initial purpose was to have the stock in the first place.
Well once the announcement had been made, it's purpose was fulfilled & they could get on with selling everything off ... when you have no customers, what's the point of doing something that will benefit them?

PRNDL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 and VH Vacationer 253
Strange problem - MyLink is no longer receiving text messages from my iPhone 12 mini.
It was working fine until about a month or so ago. It still works for phone calls, playing music and even the phone voice commands.

But the txt message feature has gone.

I am assuming it coincided with an upgrade to version 16.7 but I don’t really know.

I have everything I can think of correct in the iPhone settings re Bluetooth, notifications etc BUT obviously I am missing something.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Strange problem - MyLink is no longer receiving text messages from my iPhone 12 mini.
It was working fine until about a month or so ago. It still works for phone calls, playing music and even the phone voice commands.

But the txt message feature has gone.

I am assuming it coincided with an upgrade to version 16.7 but I don’t really know.

I have everything I can think of correct in the iPhone settings re Bluetooth, notifications etc BUT obviously I am missing something.

The test messaging has been coming and going with updates. It seems to have settled down a bit recently, but I have noticed that it takes longer for all the phone options to appear on the MyLink. (But I’m using an older iPhone that doesn’t support the newer OS versions).

D1STRBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV2R
Hey guys tried a quick search but I'm wanting to black out the chrome stuff on the front bumper and the side indicators etc. maybe even the window trims. Have people purchased kits or wrapped or what? Thanks
Edit on a vf ssv

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hey guys tried a quick search but I'm wanting to black out the chrome stuff on the front bumper and the side indicators etc. maybe even the window trims. Have people purchased kits or wrapped or what? Thanks
Edit on a vf ssv
Holden might still have 'black out kits' available.