Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Series 2 Redline Holden service damage

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I just use clay, polish and wax on the glass when I do the rest of the car. I don't doubt your method though, scary as it may seem. I also use demineralized water (mildly acidic) with about 20% tap water (alkaline) for the washers. Keeps the water spots away.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... regular old steel wool with glass cleaner works fantastic...
Never use regular steel wool on glass as it can result in scratches.

You can use 0000 grade steel wool which is available from Bunnings and it’s more appropriate for cleaning glass as it’s much finer than regular old steel wool. Or you can use a clay bar or razor blade. But whatever you use, make sure you use a liquid to lubricate the glass as cleaning glass dry isn’t a great move...

Really there are plenty of ways to skin that cat :p

But with car wash, I never let the dealer wash my car :mad:

Some dealers have a large bin full of water and detergent in their wash area with a normal house broom sitting within the bin.. The wash process is to wet the car using a pressure washer and then they scrub the car using the broom followed by a pressure rinse... then they dry the car using a shammy which they have almost certainly dropped on the concrete... job done in less than 5 minutes :eek:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
0000 steel wool and Stoner's Invisible Glass works well.
If there is water marks and etchings left on the glass, time to get the buff out with microfiber cutting pads and a decent polishing compound.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Never use regular steel wool on glass as it can result in scratches.

You can use 0000 grade steel wool which is available from Bunnings and it’s more appropriate for cleaning glass as it’s much finer than regular old steel wool. Or you can use a clay bar or razor blade. But whatever you use, make sure you use a liquid to lubricate the glass as cleaning glass dry isn’t a great move...

Really there are plenty of ways to skin that cat :p

But with car wash, I never let the dealer wash my car :mad:

Some dealers have a large bin full of water and detergent in their wash area with a normal house broom sitting within the bin.. The wash process is to wet the car using a pressure washer and then they scrub the car using the broom followed by a pressure rinse... then they dry the car using a shammy which they have almost certainly dropped on the concrete... job done in less than 5 minutes :eek:
Have you seen some of the car washes at the shopping center's? They use the same sponge to wash the whole car without dipping it in the bucket again Also noticed this at a car wash in Port Melbourne before the car enters the automatic car wash.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Have you seen some of the car washes at the shopping center's? They use the same sponge to wash the whole car without dipping it in the bucket again Also noticed this at a car wash in Port Melbourne before the car enters the automatic car wash.

99% of people just want a clean car. They don't care about paint swirls.

Those who do care about paint swirls never let someone else clean their car.

My tip for hard water marks is cola. Worked a treat at my old job at a steelworks for when the wind blew the wrong way and dumped raw lime on your car.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Have you seen some of the car washes at the shopping center's?
Yes, I’ve seen them ply their trade with disgust.

Swirl marks are annoying but scrtatches (in the normal sence of the word) because an idiot has dropped the shammy on the ground and just gives it a shake before continuing are something else entirely...

Always wonder why people (both the car washers themselves and the car owners who take it to such places) care so little about a car‘s paintwork and value speed over quality...

We get what we put up with and I won’t put up with such car washes so DIY... Others may simply be ignorant of great paint condition and not know any better, or they just don’t care... Each to their own :rolleyes:

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Bowdens Own metal polish - Just used it on the glass of the ministers Santa Fe, which had some minor water spotting
Added a little elbow grease to the mix and the glass came up an absolute treat