Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Sway bars/coilovers info

TeknoVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Hi Team,
Long time follower, finally joined up first time poster.
Iv searched all over but can’t seem to find a definitive answer so here i am.
I have a VF SS series 1.

She is sitting way too low from the previous owner who also has the rears cambered which is causing wear on the inside of the rear tyres which I just had to get replaced.
I’m going for BC racing coilovers to raise her up a bit to close to stock height and hopefully fix the camber rub at the rear (not the reason for this post iv had BC coilovers on other cars and like them, iv looked at spring/strut combos but not sure what to get for stock height etc and like adustability from coilovers)

I’m also wanting to add sway bars while I’m at it.
Looking at whiteline kit (fits FE3 suspension)
or
Superpro (does not fit FE3 suspension) I’m not sure which one to go with that will fit the coilovers ? And what else I will need (links etc)

Any info/advice on this setup will be appreciated Thankyou.

Will also do a post up soon showing the full build/info on this 450HP tekno SS soon.

Phillbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Black Edition V8
I'm also in Brisbane and will be getting MCA Pro comfort fitted by MCA about mid year. Have heard great things about their coilovers and as MCA are located in Brisbane it's a no brainer for me.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
raise her up a bit to close to stock height
What height do you want in measurements from the centre of the hub to the top of the guard. This is lowered 25mm from stock height and measures 380mm. Do you want higher than this or lower?

20230902_162551.jpg

TeknoVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
What height do you want in measurements from the centre of the hub to the top of the guard. This is lowered 25mm from stock height and measures 380mm. Do you want higher than this or lower?

View attachment 266173
Yours looks perfect, what are you running ?
i will keep that measurement in mind when fitting the coilovers Thankyou

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yours looks perfect, what are you running ?
i will keep that measurement in mind when fitting the coilovers Thankyou
These are King springs in a V6 wagon and a little different to what's used in a V8 sedan for a 380mm ride height. V8 Sedan's use KHFL-151 front, and KHRL-152SL rear with Monroe GT Sport shocks.

Personally, I don't use coil overs in road cars that aren't tracked for improved lap times particularly in SA to avoid defect notices where coil overs are illegal without engineering compliance and spring perches spot welded to prevent ride height adjustment.

VF's that handle well on the track with coil overs properly setup, are SERIOUSLY stiff and uncomfortable on the street and I think the King Spring/ Monroe combination with the stock FE2 24mm front sway bar and a 20mm rear sway bar provides the best handling improvements over the Redline FE3 maintaining reasonable street comfortability for a V8 sedan.

Unless you're using 2-way adjustable shock dampening like the KW coil overs where you can reduce compression dampening only, it's a bad idea screwing off shock dampening that also reduces rebound dampening on the cheaper coil overs for comfortability where the shock loses control of the spring rate inducing bump steer on rough roads, fast way to wrap it around a tree on the open road and spirited driving.

I think HSV did the best job with sway bar size selection keeping in mind that unlike stiff springs that push all 4 tyres into the road surface increasing traction potential, stiff sway bars lift the inside tyres off the road surface reducing traction potential. Stiff sway bars like FE3, are ok with high ride heights, soft springs and shock dampening, but when increasing spring/shock stiffness, sway bar stiffness needs to be reduced with smaller diameters. With lowered and stiffened Redline's (FE3), I downsize the sway bars to the HSV setup to maximise tyre grip potential.

The most critical factor too often overlooked with suspension and handling improvements is a decent set of tyres!

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Hey Nev. My 2013 SSV ute measures 390mm on all four corners. Would it have sagged that much in 110.000 easy Kms? I thought it would look better a little bit lower but I'm not sure because occasionally I carry stuff in it. 10mm lower wouldn't make enough difference to make it worthwhile IMHO.

TeknoVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
These are King springs in a V6 wagon and a little different to what's used in a V8 sedan for a 380mm ride height. V8 Sedan's use KHFL-151 front, and KHRL-152SL rear with Monroe GT Sport shocks.

Personally, I don't use coil overs in road cars that aren't tracked for improved lap times particularly in SA to avoid defect notices where coil overs are illegal without engineering compliance and spring perches spot welded to prevent ride height adjustment.

VF's that handle well on the track with coil overs properly setup, are SERIOUSLY stiff and uncomfortable on the street and I think the King Spring/ Monroe combination with the stock FE2 24mm front sway bar and a 20mm rear sway bar provides the best handling improvements over the Redline FE3 maintaining reasonable street comfortability for a V8 sedan.

Unless you're using 2-way adjustable shock dampening like the KW coil overs where you can reduce compression dampening only, it's a bad idea screwing off shock dampening that also reduces rebound dampening on the cheaper coil overs for comfortability where the shock loses control of the spring rate inducing bump steer on rough roads, fast way to wrap it around a tree on the open road and spirited driving.

I think HSV did the best job with sway bar size selection keeping in mind that unlike stiff springs that push all 4 tyres into the road surface increasing traction potential, stiff sway bars lift the inside tyres off the road surface reducing traction potential. Stiff sway bars like FE3, are ok with high ride heights, soft springs and shock dampening, but when increasing spring/shock stiffness, sway bar stiffness needs to be reduced with smaller diameters. With lowered and stiffened Redline's (FE3), I downsize the sway bars to the HSV setup to maximise tyre grip potential.

The most critical factor too often overlooked with suspension and handling improvements is a decent set of tyres!
Thanks nev,
Sounds like I’m gonna order those springs and shocks instead of coilovers and save my money on sway bars. Cheers

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Hey Nev. My 2013 SSV ute measures 390mm on all four corners. Would it have sagged that much in 110.000 easy Kms? I thought it would look better a little bit lower but I'm not sure because occasionally I carry stuff in it. 10mm lower wouldn't make enough difference to make it worthwhile IMHO.
I've seen utes at 385/390mm in the rear and generally had tow bars, may have towed or carried heavy equipment. Brand new SS/SSVR utes were around 410mm. Low in the front is usually strut top compression of the rubber bush or collapse in worst cases. Stock springs don't tend to sag too much.

Thanks nev,
Sounds like I’m gonna order those springs and shocks instead of coilovers and save my money on sway bars. Cheers
Commodores are vulnerable to large range of suspension component mismatches resulting in many bad handling and poor riding cars. King Springs contracted Monroe in a joint venture with the GT Sport shock valving to match the King's spring rates and they did a good job for a nice upgrade. There's better handling options out there, but as I mentioned previously, they're a stiff and uncomfortable ride for a general road car.

Last edited:

TeknoVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
I've seen utes at 385/390mm in the rear and generally had tow bars, may have towed or carried heavy equipment. Brand new SS/SSVR utes were around 410mm. Low in the front is usually strut top compression of the rubber bush or collapse in worst cases. Stock springs don't tend to sag too much.

Commodores are vulnerable to large range of suspension component mismatches resulting in many bad handling and poor riding cars. King Springs contracted Monroe in a joint venture with the GT Sport shock valving to match the King's spring rates and they did a good job for a nice upgrade. There's better handling options out there, but as I mentioned previously, they're a stiff and uncomfortable ride or a general road car.
Thanks for your help, it’s about the same price as coilovers from what I I can find for that setup, (1600ish) for the Monroe/kings.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Thanks for your help, it’s about the same price as coilovers from what I I can find for that setup, (1600ish) for the Monroe/kings.
A set of King Springs and Monroe GT Sport shocks should be around $1000 from a decent supplier.