Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SSVR windscreen rattle/squeaks

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Further to my previous comments on this subject, in January 2019 my Holden dealer applied 'silicone grease' to the seal at the top of the windscreen which stopped the noise. I am now starting to hear the noise again. I would like to have a go at the fix myself rather than take it back to the dealer.
I would think that applying silicone spray with the thin pipe on the nozzle would be easier than trying to force grease in. Is it a problem doing that having regard that grease was previously used ie. would there be some grease residue remaining which would prevent the application of spray now being used. If so would I have to use grease and put the new stuff over any residue?

Also, if I went to Supercheap, what tool should I look for to lift the seal? I don't want to scratch the metal. I am not mechanically minded so could you be specific with say the name of the tool.
Thanks guys in advance.

Merv
I have done mine twice with the spray. After the second time I have not heard the noise again.

I used a plastic trim removal tool. You could use a credit card.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
first thing first dealers are NOT franchises, they are more akin to authorised re-sellers and repairers.

It'd be like going into Harvey Norman and calling them "Samsung" because they are Samsung re-sellers.

If you believe the dealer is failing maybe contact GM direct?

myls362

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Further to my previous comments on this subject, in January 2019 my Holden dealer applied 'silicone grease' to the seal at the top of the windscreen which stopped the noise. I am now starting to hear the noise again. I would like to have a go at the fix myself rather than take it back to the dealer.
I would think that applying silicone spray with the thin pipe on the nozzle would be easier than trying to force grease in. Is it a problem doing that having regard that grease was previously used ie. would there be some grease residue remaining which would prevent the application of spray now being used. If so would I have to use grease and put the new stuff over any residue?

Also, if I went to Supercheap, what tool should I look for to lift the seal? I don't want to scratch the metal. I am not mechanically minded so could you be specific with say the name of the tool.
Thanks guys in advance.

Merv

I just used a plastic trim removal tool with the fork at the end of it. They are cheap as and I got mine off eBay. I’m sure you can get them from Supercheap.

I gently worked the plastic fork in one end of the windscreen. I then sprayed silicone spray in the gap in the fork. I then continued to spray as I moved the plastic fork only the seal.

it’s pretty easy to do. Just take your time and don’t force the tool. Over 12 months on it’s still all good.

in terms of the grease you could use a fine cloth and a trim removal tool. Just slide that along and grab any grease that comes up with another cloth.

I hope that helps.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
first thing first dealers are NOT franchises, they are more akin to authorised re-sellers and repairers....
Dealers are most certainly seen as franchises in law and are regulated under a franchise code of conduct, see franchising-and-the-automotive-industry, snippet below:

In fact, since 1998, when the Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth) was amended to prohibit unconscionable conduct in small business transactions and the Code was made mandatory under the Act to address significant disputation occurring in the franchising sector, the Code expressly provides that a ïmotor vehicle dealership agreementÍ is taken to be a franchise agreement and hence subject to the Code.

Not that such is relevant to our normal daily issues is being consumers ;)
... If you believe the dealer is failing maybe contact GM direct?
Agree, regardless how one classifies them, if a Holden dealer is treating you like a wet nappy, go to another Holden dealer or ring HCC and discuss your concerns directly... Just don’t expect great service or rapid response from HCC.. cause Holden :oops:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Thanks for that, I've never seen them as a franchise but it does make more sense.

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Thanks guys for your help, I will use the credit card as suggested. So is it the case that none of you see a problem with the spray mixing with any residue grease that I can't remove? Also, Supercheap have a product called '3 in One Silicone spray lubricant', would that be suitable?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
first thing first dealers are NOT franchises

According to the Franchising Code, a motor vehicle dealership agreement is a Franchise Agreement.

A motor vehicle is defined under the Code as being a vehicle that uses, or is designed to use, volatile spirit, gas, oil, electricity or any other power (except human or animal power) as the principal means of propulsion, but does not include a vehicle used, or designed to be used, on a railway or tramway.

Note: Examples of motor vehicles are as follows:
(a) motor car;
(b) motorcycle;
(c) tractor;
(d) motorised farm machinery;
(e) motorised construction machinery;
(f) aircraft;
(g) motor boat.

EDIT - @Skylarking beat me to it.

Mrwhite5166

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SV6 VFII Black
Was driving along the highway the other day, when I switched the radio I could hear this rattle within the cabin, impossible to pinpoint where exactly, but almost sounds like the entire front dash or even the windscreen wipers. I saw this thread on the windscreen, however when I hold the windscreen the rattle is still there. Could it still be the windscreen even if still there when holding it firm?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Was driving along the highway the other day, when I switched the radio I could hear this rattle within the cabin, impossible to pinpoint where exactly, but almost sounds like the entire front dash or even the windscreen wipers. I saw this thread on the windscreen, however when I hold the windscreen the rattle is still there. Could it still be the windscreen even if still there when holding it firm?
Wet the car first especially the top of the windscreen and then take it for a drive.