Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SS owners - have you had any major mechanical or electrical faults since new?

Phawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SSV Redline
5yrs old, 20k kms no issues, really should drive it more

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
My wagon has now ticked over 48,000 km and is running fine. The only warranty issues I‘ve had was that the rear bumper was knocked pre-delivery, and I had a body water leak due to how the electric trailer brake wiring was done by the dealer. Both issues were rectified without any issue. Note - both these issues were probably dealer inflicted issues rather than manufacturing issues. If I had my time over I would have insisted that the purchased accessories be fitted by the factory rather than the dealer, and I would have installed the electric trailer brake controller myself.

I can understand the reason for this thread, and I’m following it with interest. But regarding the powertrain, keep in mind that the LS3 (and most of the LS-engine family ) are pretty much considered THE GM engine to have. Many restro-mod shows on television will often show a LS being fitted to an older car. The common comment is that they don’t have any issues - they fit them and they start-up first time and they go!

Yes, there are reports of engine issues - piston slap, injectors, and rockers. Most of these are confined to a few unlucky engines and are symptomatic of quality control (manufacturing) issues. There are some design issues too. The large stroke and large bore means a short piston has been used so this makes engine susceptible to piston slap. IIRC the piston gudgeon pin offset is also minimal in the LS so that will also significantly contribute to piston slap. The valve springs are beehive and a single spring (which allows the engine to rev out) but it is relying on a single valve spring. LS engines are designed for ‘go’ rather than refinement.

Injectors and rockers issues were manufacturing stuff ups and confined to certain batches of engines.

Have a search on the web and see all the wonderful parts and modifications available for the LS-family engines. It’s really the ‘go to’ engine for the (GM) performance market. These engines are a great platform for engine modification - it’s like they were designed to be modified! It’s an engine that will have parts - both OEM and after-market available for many years to come.

I’d prefer to have an LS than any other GM engine as the reputation and support indicates it is THE GM engine to have.

I understand the intention to find out the problems or issues others have been experiencing, but keep in mind that the LS3 is considered a very strong, capable and reliable power plant.

I reckon the major weakness in the drive train is the ZF differential. I’ll be fitting a Truetrac centre when the ZF unit wears out.

Clintix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS Regal Peacock Sedan
2015 VF SS II 45,000klms

Only had a pulley replaced, still on the same battery.

RennRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Sportwagon
Sept 17 vf2 ssv 6spd redline 19000km, drivers seat clicks when moving around taking turns corners etc otherwise fine

Hey, my 2016 SV6 wagon driver’s seat does the same! Do you know what it is?

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
Hey, my 2016 SV6 wagon driver’s seat does the same! Do you know what it is?
I tightened 4 star head screws under seat along rail and it has reduced it, still a slight click I believe if I tighten it more it would stop

RennRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Sportwagon
I tightened 4 star head screws under seat along rail and it has reduced it, still a slight click I believe if I tighten it more it would stop
Thanks @Emco I'll give that a go.

ADs16SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV
Hi people. Had quite a few issues recently with my 2016 VFII SSV (not redline). About 142,000kms on the clock and have had it since new. About 5 months ago the gearbox decided to die so I had it (6L80-E) rebuilt. Also meant replacing the radiator at the same time. All stock. Then 2 months ago, radiator decides to drop it's guts and found out the plastic at the base cracked under the pressure. Time for radiator number 3. Thankfully the workshop who did the work, being the great guys that they are, noticed that the cooling fans weren't fully engaging at operating temperature. Dash was saying engine temp was fine. So after 2 days of trouble shooting they worked out it was a faulty water temperature sensor. ie engine was running hotter than what the sensor was indicating. All fixed, everyone happy. Engine does seem slightly rougher than it used to though. Fast forward to now and on a cold start up, the engine slightly struggles to turn over and seems to be a more noticeable "sooty" sort of smell from the exhaust. Once warmed up seems fine. And repeated turning on and off when engine is warm, seems to be no start up issues................until now the Service Vehicle Soon message comes up, even though it had a service about a month ago. Holden telling me possibly some crank issue? Either way dropping it in to mechanic next week, but thought I'd see if an of you guys had any thoughts/opinions on what's happening here?

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Hi people. Had quite a few issues recently with my 2016 VFII SSV (not redline). About 142,000kms on the clock and have had it since new. About 5 months ago the gearbox decided to die so I had it (6L80-E) rebuilt. Also meant replacing the radiator at the same time. All stock. Then 2 months ago, radiator decides to drop it's guts and found out the plastic at the base cracked under the pressure. Time for radiator number 3. Thankfully the workshop who did the work, being the great guys that they are, noticed that the cooling fans weren't fully engaging at operating temperature. Dash was saying engine temp was fine. So after 2 days of trouble shooting they worked out it was a faulty water temperature sensor. ie engine was running hotter than what the sensor was indicating. All fixed, everyone happy. Engine does seem slightly rougher than it used to though. Fast forward to now and on a cold start up, the engine slightly struggles to turn over and seems to be a more noticeable "sooty" sort of smell from the exhaust. Once warmed up seems fine. And repeated turning on and off when engine is warm, seems to be no start up issues................until now the Service Vehicle Soon message comes up, even though it had a service about a month ago. Holden telling me possibly some crank issue? Either way dropping it in to mechanic next week, but thought I'd see if an of you guys had any thoughts/opinions on what's happening here?
sounds like engine thinks its colder than it is and running rich. Is car using more fuel??

Pretty disappointing on the gearbox kms thats crap

Recently my temp sensor on my vx ls1 died and was using heaps of fuel, computer though car was cold so adding more fuel.

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
Hi.

This is a general question. I'd like to gauge how people's SS (LS3) has been to own since new. How many kilometres have you travelled and have you had a major failure on the engine / mechanicals / electricals? I was of the belief these cars are suppose to be almost bullet proof on reliability. I have no issues but my ride does not get driven (at all) really so I have no idea how it may run after a few thousand ks. I'm interested to see how others SS have gone through the mileage.
Hello.
I have a MY 14 S1 Redline and I have done 86.000 Km in the 10 years and I have only had to replace the battery.
That is all.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Mine keeps getting dusty which is annoying but I'm now taking medication for that.

I had a run in the paint on the driver's door which after inspection was found to be caused by the quick repair of a transportation dint the dealer had thought they'd hidden from me.

I twice had to have the grommet whatsit mod done to fix the air con condensation leak that would dampen the passenger's side carpet.

Other than that I've been lucky considering I feel it's a cheaply screwed together vehicle compared to the VE's.

Last edited: