Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 SS Redline Ute - Total Failure / Will Not Start

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE UTE AUTO
Hi all,

Hoping for someone on the forum who has some knowledge they can share and hopefully shed some light on what maybe going on with my vf2 ssv redline ute.

2017 model.. about 50ks on the clock. Never had any real issues, a few weeks ago the service steering column lock started coming on every time I started the car.

This didn't cause any problems until a week ago I went to start it and nothing doing... refused to start.. flashing all kinds of service requests from ESP to airbags, power steering failure etc etc.

After trawling thru these forums and trying everything that has been suggested in terms of disconnecting battery / turning wheel etc, with zero success, a tow truck took it down to the local ex-holden dealer to get it checked out.. so far they cant figure it out except for some of the electric modules are not communicating and it seems like a broken wire .. they are asking if it has ever been in a crash. Certainly never has.. I am the owner and sole driver... glad of any ideas thanks in advance guys!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
could be a bad battery or something, sounds like the electronics have gone a bit haywire?

Thinking ignoring that steering lock failure message was a bad idea.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE UTE AUTO
could be a bad battery or something, sounds like the electronics have gone a bit haywire?

Thinking ignoring that steering lock failure message was a bad idea.
Battery was replaced a few months ago mpower... and yeah i was planning to act on it but procrastination won the day..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A 2017 model should still have factory warranty, many had 7 years, some had 5 years, I don’t think any had just 3 years. Regardless, you are also be covered by your statutory warranty under Australian consumer law if you purchased from a dealer. And the statutory warranty doesn't have an end date define in the legislation, only what’s reasonable for the product bought and price payed :cool:

So, stop procrastinating and get onto the dealer that sold you the car and get them to sort it out as is required under law. Hopefully they’ll understand the law and sort it out.

Don’t accept being fobbed off the Holden (that’s illegal) or accepting what Holden says (it’s really between you and the selling dealer). How the selling dealer recovers their costs is not your problem at all…

Also, a car that won’t start is a major fault under ACL which gives you more rights. The selling business is the one that has to fix it and if Holden chooses to help, great. But if either gives you too much stick, just hit them back with the fact that because it’s a major fault under ACL, the law provides you (the buyer) the choice of remedy (be it repair, replacement or full purchase price refund)…. And if they keep on with their crap, tell them you want a new (or near replacement) …… I’m sure one can be found for $100k and with that in mind they may stop playing games and just fix your car :cool:

If your not across ACL, the EPS assistance failure thread (sticky at top of VF forum) and many others go into details…

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
My opinion would be to try a new battery (even though you've replaced recently). I would be willing to bet it's this.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
My opinion would be to try a new battery (even though you've replaced recently). I would be willing to bet it's this.
Plus check to see if there's a parasitic current leak (e.g. glovebox or boot light staying on) which could eventually drain the battery.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
if you have a battery charger, put it on the battery overnight, leave it on the next day while you start it.
if it starts your battery probably has a dead cell so replace it.

i would have expected the dealer to do this with their maintainer in the shop but they might not have.
if it does not start you will need to start checking wiring and earth connections but i would leave this to the dealer to do under warranty as skylarking mentioned.
the vehicle totally not starting is a major fault.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Wild card, but having just read an article saying they are back on the rise in many places....

No evidence of any mice/rats in or around the car getting into the wiring?

Last ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS 6.2
Hi all,

Hoping for someone on the forum who has some knowledge they can share and hopefully shed some light on what maybe going on with my vf2 ssv redline ute.

2017 model.. about 50ks on the clock. Never had any real issues, a few weeks ago the service steering column lock started coming on every time I started the car.

This didn't cause any problems until a week ago I went to start it and nothing doing... refused to start.. flashing all kinds of service requests from ESP to airbags, power steering failure etc etc.

After trawling thru these forums and trying everything that has been suggested in terms of disconnecting battery / turning wheel etc, with zero success, a tow truck took it down to the local ex-holden dealer to get it checked out.. so far they cant figure it out except for some of the electric modules are not communicating and it seems like a broken wire .. they are asking if it has ever been in a crash. Certainly never has.. I am the owner and sole driver... glad of any ideas thanks in advance guys!

A 2017 model should still have factory warranty, many had 7 years, some had 5 years, I don’t think any had just 3 years. Regardless, you are also be covered by your statutory warranty under Australian consumer law if you purchased from a dealer. And the statutory warranty doesn't have an end date define in the legislation, only what’s reasonable for the product bought and price payed 

So, stop procrastinating and get onto the dealer that sold you the car and get them to sort it out as is required under law. Hopefully they’ll understand the law and sort it out.

Hi

Don’t accept being fobbed off the Holden (that’s illegal) or accepting what

Also, a car that won’t start is a major fment or full purchase price refund)…. And if they keep on with their crap, tell them you want a new (or near replacement) …… I’m sure one can be found for $100k and with that in mind they may ross ACL, the EPS assistance failure thread (sticky at top of VF forum) and many others go into details…

Hi all,

Hi all,

Hi all,

Hi.

I have a 2017 vf2 ss.
It seems to have exactly the same issue as you are describing. Similar kms. Also with a battery recently replaced.
Service requests it is displaying were, "service steering lock
", "wind drivers side window up and down", "wind passenger side window up and down"
How did you fix your ute? Hoping you can point me in the right direction of where to start looking.

Thanks.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hi.

I have a 2017 vf2 ss.
It seems to have exactly the same issue as you are describing. Similar kms. Also with a battery recently replaced.
Service requests it is displaying were, "service steering lock
", "wind drivers side window up and down", "wind passenger side window up and down"
How did you fix your ute? Hoping you can point me in the right direction of where to start looking.

Thanks.

OP hasn't been on here since September last year.

It sucks when people ask for help and then don't let others know how it was fixed.