Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFII Redline vs Gen-F2 Clubsport R8 - the verdict...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The C63 is a $160k car here due to a tax regime introduced in part to protect an industry we no longer have ... ditch the dodgy tax component and that's more like $110k, which makes a $100k GTS look stupidly overpriced. But then if Holden were making GTS's they'd be a $70k car. So many variables involved, it makes comparison nigh on impossible.

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
..to protect an industry we no longer have ... ditch the dodgy tax component and that's more like $110
Interesting point you've raised, and keen to see if that's going to be scrapped in the next ~5 years

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
To be clear, all cars in Australia are subject to the same taxes except the import duty:
- GST
- LCT (Luxury Car Tax)
- Stamp Duty

The only tax on the C63 not applicable on A GTS is the 5% Import Duty. This import Duty does not inflate the cost of the C63 from 110k to 160k.

So, the 2 cars are competing on an almost level playing field.

While the C63 price is high, its not all taxes. It is also the marketing strategy followed by importers. We Aussies are willing to pay more than in other markets for the same car. The importers are happy to slug us and blame it all on taxes.

The other factor is that importers face exchange rates. With the exception of Tesla, they are willing to lock in a price for us over a long time and wear adverse exchange rate movements as is happening right now. To do that they generally lock in a higher price to build some margin against fx movements.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The C63 is a $160k car here due to a tax regime introduced in part to protect an industry we no longer have ... ditch the dodgy tax component and that's more like $110k, which makes a $100k GTS look stupidly overpriced. But then if Holden were making GTS's they'd be a $70k car. So many variables involved, it makes comparison nigh on impossible.

This is almost completely incorrect.

Most import duties are now a very small component of retail price for vehicles.

Australians are used to paying too much, so both local and overseas manufacturers do not price competitively in our market.

The real solution? Stop buying overpriced vehicles.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
To be clear, all cars in Australia are subject to the same taxes except the import duty:
- GST
- LCT (Luxury Car Tax)
- Stamp Duty

The only tax on the C63 not applicable on A GTS is the 5% Import Duty. This import Duty does not inflate the cost of the C63 from 110k to 160k.

So, the 2 cars are competing on an almost level playing field.
Sorry yes, error in my calculations for sure & I'm not even sure what I was thinking when I posted that; but it's still true that the LCT limit has always been set at a value which ensures Statespeople & Fairlanes could be sold without getting taxed.

What's a GTS, $95k? Limit is $63k, so what's that, $32k/4 = ~$8k in LCT.
What's a C63, $160k? So that's $98k/4 = ~$25k in LCT.

So wipe LCT, GTS becomes ~$87k, C63 ~$135k.

But I still think you can't really compare; as I said, if Holden were building something with the mechanicals & interior of a GTS but with a Holden badge, they could sell it for way less than HSV who hand assembles everything.

Andy89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ R8 M6
I was pretty much sold on a Redline pending the sale of my VZ R8. However with demo and new manual LSA prices sitting around the 70-71k mark, the price difference which was initially about $25k is now down to $12-15k depending what deal you can get.

I never thought the LSA was $25k more car than a Redline, but $12-15k for a blower, bigger brakes and awesome seats (plus whatever else I've missed) is looking alot more tempting....

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I was pretty much sold on a Redline pending the sale of my VZ R8. However with demo and new manual LSA prices sitting around the 70-71k mark, the price difference which was initially about $25k is now down to $12-15k depending what deal you can get.

I never thought the LSA was $25k more car than a Redline, but $12-15k for a blower, bigger brakes and awesome seats (plus whatever else I've missed) is looking alot more tempting....

The LSA R8 have come down heaps, but remember that the cheap ones were built in October 2015 so they are almost a year old.
In November 15 I drove the redline and LSA.
My on road quotes were:
$55,000 Redline
$95,000 LSA R8

Hence I got the Redline and spent $15,000 supercharging it
If you wait till cars have been sitting at dealers for 12 months of course they will be cheap. But your agreed value for insurance and current resale value is also less as it is a 12 month old car and has depreciated while sitting on the floor. At least if you get a demo you don't pay GST. But buy a new 15 built LSA, and your paying GST, LCT and its deprecated at least 10%.........your actually losing out.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
The LSA R8 have come down heaps, but remember that the cheap ones were built in October 2015 so they are almost a year old.
In November 15 I drove the redline and LSA.
My on road quotes were:
$55,000 Redline
$95,000 LSA R8

Hence I got the Redline and spent $15,000 supercharging it
If you wait till cars have been sitting at dealers for 12 months of course they will be cheap. But your agreed value for insurance and current resale value is also less as it is a 12 month old car and has depreciated while sitting on the floor. At least if you get a demo you don't pay GST. But buy a new 15 built LSA, and your paying GST, LCT and its deprecated at least 10%.........your actually losing out.

There is an LSA on carsales now for $71,888 on the road. Its a May 16 build.

The upside to the LSA is that if you spend $70k on it, that's what its worth.
A $70k Redline will only ever be worth $60K at best.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
At least if you get a demo you don't pay GST. But buy a new 15 built LSA, and your paying GST, LCT and its deprecated at least 10%.........your actually losing out.

If you buy a used car from a dealer it is still subject to GST, I don't know about LCT in case of used cars but I was thinking of LCT as a new car tax. If it's demo I would think LCT still applies, otherwise there would probably be all kinds of scams promoting cars as demo to avoid LCT.