Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VG Commode Ute

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Some libraries have car manuals like a Gregory's. The HB shoe section will be one or two pages. Photocopy the two pages. When it comes to the pins, push on the clips with pliers to squish them in and try with your other hand on the back of the pin to use a finger to turn the pin to its locking position. This is the bit where much swearing occurs as those pins and clips are mongrels to lock in.
From my younger days replacing drum brakes on HR holdens I only ever used side cutters to grip the pin head
Works waaaaaayy better than pliers as taught to me by a brake mechanic.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I'd get my hands on a Gregory's. Most people have forgotten how to work on drum brakes and there's quite a few things you can get wrong- like the correct shoe orientation.
If you haven't started yet make sure that you take photos of the assemblies before you start- assuming they're original.

jamo1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I removed the shoes, a bit of a battle but I didn't bleed at all. The top spring gave in easily but no way could I remove the lower spring so I used a version of the post above by spreading the shoes and wrestled them off downwards so assembly will done by the same method,

cheers Joe.

jamo1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Thanks everyone your replies,
I managed to get one side assembled this morning by fitting one end of the shoe springs to the right hand shoe and then feeding the the spring over the park brake actuator, didn't locate the shoe properly yet and then hooked up the other shoe to the spring, now the shoe bottoms can be fitted into the actuator ( a large screw driver helps to lever the shoes onto the actuator)
Next I fitted the top shoe spring to both shoes before fitting the shoe adjuster, I have to admit I cheated a little with the shoe pin and spring, no way could I fit and twist the pins so I squeezed up the pin spring 5mm, now I could assemble the pins and springs.
The disk/drum went on OK but there is no hole in my disk to adjust the adjuster so it is impossible,
Cheers Joe.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The adjustment is on the threaded rod at the bottom of the hand brake lever.

Reactions: Lex

jamo1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Thanks MIke, that's unusual not to have a shoe top adjuster, but it is impossible to turn the shoe top adjuster, too bad I will just adjust the threaded rod which is near the drive shaft on my VG,
thanks again, Joe.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
The disk/drum went on OK but there is no hole in my disk to adjust the adjuster so it is impossible,
Cheers Joe.

You can get it by winding them out until the drum won't fit, then backing it off half a turn, until it fits.

Else, if you have an old drum, drill out a hole so you can adjust it, then slip your new rotor on

This will get you close, then use the cable adjustment for handbrake level feel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can get it by winding them out until the drum won't fit, then backing it off half a turn, until it fits.

Else, if you have an old drum, drill out a hole so you can adjust it, then slip your new rotor on

This will get you close, then use the cable adjustment for handbrake level feel.
This ^^^^^. Just work the lever a few times after you get it to where it will slide on as sometimes they free up a little with a couple of pulls.

jamo1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Thanks losh,
i like it, normally there is a hole in the backing plate for adj.

cheers Joe.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
IIRC there should be a hole in the backing plate to adjust them.