Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] (P1) Laws Question!

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
what happens if a 16yr old says they're 15 and have no ID?

If they have no record with the police, Do the police have anyway of finding out? (That doesn't need more effort then its worth).

Or do they just assume the kid is lying?

If the kid gives a name (as they are legally obligated to), I'm sure the cop could ring back and find out their age, or if it's a false name. If they can't determine ID within reason, they can assume the person is 16, and charge the driver. Onus is on the passengers to provide proof of ID and proof of age.

sjmcc

Reaction score
Website
www.hawthornweightlifting.com
Members Ride
VS Berlina

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
The coppers you spoke to in passing were probably general duties uniform ones who probably don't give a damn about traffic stuff. Us traffic fanatics are rather hard to come by sometimes as the general belief is that traffic offenders aren't "real crooks". So really they wouldn't know what they're talking about anyway.

The information so far is correct that you are allowed one passenger between 16 and 21 (inclusive). Any passenger between those ages doesn't count if they're a family members. The excuse of, "Um, ohhh, yeah he's my cousin" doesn't cut it, nor does he's my brothers, mates, dad's girlfriend. In other words you're allowed to drive younger brothers and/or sisters to school or footy etc.

However.... if there's a fully licensed driver seated in the front next to you, then all bets are off and you can load the car up with as many passengers between the restricted ages as you like. Therefore if you can get someone with a full licence in the car, get them in the front and you can take everyone.

does it matter if the "experienced" driver has been drinking(over .05)

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
That shouldnt matter since P1 is a form of licence and you dont need anyone to observ with a full licence.

... A bit off topic but is it true they're bringing out Blue P's which no passengers can be in the car? Man they're getting outta control with all this crap. If a kid wants to be a goose in a car nothing can stop him.

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
A bit off topic but is it true they're bringing out Blue P's which no passengers can be in the car? Man they're getting outta control with all this crap. If a kid wants to be a goose in a car nothing can stop him.

Extremely unlikely. Blue colours are hard to see generally, so they wouldn't use that for a new plate for a start. More importantly, they'd just change the regulations for current p platers instead.

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
But still i think its a bit cruel targeting the Y generation (Or whatever generation they see us as) and dumping all these b.s laws on us. I have seen fully licenced drivers who shouldnt even be behind the wheel. Simple fact they cant drive. Now my mate lost his licence for 5yrs and he has to go from his L's again when the ban passes. Thats kinda b.s considering he has 3 kids.

Stressball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
But still i think its a bit cruel targeting the Y generation (Or whatever generation they see us as) and dumping all these b.s laws on us. I have seen fully licenced drivers who shouldnt even be behind the wheel. Simple fact they cant drive. Now my mate lost his licence for 5yrs and he has to go from his L's again when the ban passes. Thats kinda b.s considering he has 3 kids.

Must have been a **** driver to lose it for 5 years. Ruleso n young drivers are covered on here frequently. Some rules are ****, some are justified. Just the way it is.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina