Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vicroads tare weight thread

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
most of it really comes from all the extra modcons fitted to modern cars. servo motors, climate control, cd stackers, electric seat motors. it also comes from beefier bodies demanded by crash test requirements. 18" inch wheels will weigh more than old 15"ers, etc.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Series 2 VT SS 1576kg

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
STEALTHY said:
Gross weight for my VP Calais is 1642kg, we don't have tare's here, but thats shows the comparison of how far they are out

How would you tare weight be out? No fuel, no oil's, no fluids. Calais are heavier in all models....

F

foammedia

I'm starting to think this vicroads tare weight is pretty spot on. All the more reason to add more of them to the thread :), Who's got an early V6 VN executive? or budget model VB?

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
i cant beleive how they range so much:
my first car vn series 2 v6 manual executive wagon weighed 1350
my current car vn series 1 v6 manual berlina weighs 1200
my mates vn series 1 exec weighs 1300
why does my berlina weigh less?
anyway just thaught i'd share my bit

xlr8_87

No longer a commy driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 Prado 4x4
tare for mine (VP) is 1350 according to rego
i'd assume she's closer to 1450 with LPG setup and fuel

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Asked a dude that has a full spec IRS/ABS VP Calais

1993 (V8 IRS Calais) Holden Commodore sedan 1450kg

He also told me his two mates VN Calais are

1990? (V8 Calais) Holden Commodore sedan 1400kg

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
ashzv6 said:
i cant beleive how they range so much:
my first car vn series 2 v6 manual executive wagon weighed 1350
my current car vn series 1 v6 manual berlina weighs 1200
my mates vn series 1 exec weighs 1300
why does my berlina weigh less?
anyway just thaught i'd share my bit

Your mates executive would be an auto, it's heaps heavier

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Wombat said:
Don't seem to have that up here in the Sunshine State...

Brings up a point I have always been sore on however...with modern materials available, it is just laziness on the designers and car builders part that a new Falcon or Commodore is pushing 1800kg.
There is no reason whatsoever that a car that size should weight any more than 1300 to 1400kg with the performance and economy gains that would bring. Jeez, our old 1978 XC-update GXL Fairmont with an all-iron 4.1 liter crossflow engine, massive steel bumpers and heavy panels only weighed about 1400kg...
Alloys, light weight materials for the interior, and so forth, would help. God, imagine how much extra a new Commodore would weigh if the Alloytec wasn't all alloy? As for heavy wiring systems, quite some years back SAAB and I think some Jap makers came up with the "single wire" possibility. Instead of a massive bundle of wires there would only be one single wire running back to, say, the taillights, and depending on which type of signal was sent, you would have indicators, brakes, or taillights, or a combination of them. I seem to recall it being operated on a system of internal relays inside the lights and other systems that the single wire would send power and a "message" to about what to light up or operate. It made the wiring system a small percentage of the weight of the original, and much simpler to work on and install. I don't know if anyone went with this system into production though, but sounds quite a good idea to me.

It isn't so much laziness. Given half a chance the engineers would have us all driving around in carbon monocoques doing 4 second 0-100 km/h. Unfortunatly commercial reality has to be listened to and there simply isn't the money to do everything they would like. Keep in mind that making cars isn't the most profitable business to be in these days.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
foammedia said:
I'm starting to think this vicroads tare weight is pretty spot on. All the more reason to add more of them to the thread :), Who's got an early V6 VN executive? or budget model VB?

Vicroads Tare is pretty good. My friend crushes old cars for some extra cash. He says the rego weight is usually plus/minus 25kg of the actual weight when he puts it over the weigh bridge and has done hundreds of them.

My VYII SS Manual has 1400kgs on the rego.

Reaper