Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Victorian State Government

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
How much do teachers earn? I don't see how anybody can form an opinion on these pay disputes unless they know what the facts are.

For the public to say that <insert occupation here> should be paid more is daft unless they know what the rates are.

Reaper

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Yes, school teachers dont earn a lot of money to be able to take a week off. Unfortunately, you are going to be a lot more out of pocket if you wait until the next election to take some action. What makes you think you are going to be better off under another government, especially considering the liberal governments track record in shutting down the state system. They are just only going to come up with the same excuses as the present government regardless of whether they promise to give you any pay rise.

I've never said we'd be better off under another government, we weren't before so why would we be next time? I think you missed where i said I CAN"T AFFORD TO TAKE TIME OFF. The money needs to be in my account. I understand it needs to happen but personally for me it can't happen.

Yes, school teachers dont earn a lot of money to be able to take a week off, and care about their students, feel compelled to take catch up the work they missed etc(there wont be any work to catch up on if the students are sent home and there are no sub teachers, if you dont get paid, dont do any catch up work, its that simple).......but that's the very sentiment Brumby is relying on in continuing to exploit you.

Can tell you aren't a teacher. It certainly isn't that simple. If i leave the department WILL find some eager graduate to fill my spot because out of uni the wage looks pretty damn good to them. But can you imagine all the underpaid experienced teachers leaving and our schools being run by graduates?
There is indeed work to catch up on. I still have to do the paperwork. Believe it or not i could be busy at school for weeks on end even without the kids there. Unfortunately actual teaching seems to be about 20% of the job now.

From what I can gauge, there is enormous public support for the teachers on this matter. Call his bluff, if they government doesnt fold after a week of no school,(free babysitting) Id be very surprised. It wont even be the teachers that have to be "in his face", it will be all the concerned parents and the media that will give him an absolute flogging.
Like i said above, if i can't afford it then i doubt everyone will drop work for a week.
That said i would hate to think how the kids would end up if that happened. It runs far deeper than you could imagine.

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
How much do teachers earn? I don't see how anybody can form an opinion on these pay disputes unless they know what the facts are.

For the public to say that <insert occupation here> should be paid more is daft unless they know what the rates are.

Reaper

I'm on less than 47k. Range is between 45 and roughly 65 and takes 10 to 12 years to reach that. There is nothing over 65k unless you take on a Principal job and even the pay scale for what they do is pathetic.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Who are you calling daft?, most people would know, its been all over any newspaper worth reading, geez they could even google it.

vlv8vic could confirm, my recollection says about $60-68K four year trained, three year less) 12+ years experience and depending on any postion of responsibilty held. First year outs ~ $40+K? not much for trained professionals.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Can tell you aren't a teacher. It certainly isn't that simple. If i leave the department WILL find some eager graduate to fill my spot because out of uni the wage looks pretty damn good to them. But can you imagine all the underpaid experienced teachers leaving and our schools being run by graduates?
There is indeed work to catch up on. I still have to do the paperwork. Believe it or not i could be busy at school for weeks on end even without the kids there. Unfortunately actual teaching seems to be about 20% of the job now.

Best not to assume, what I do and dont know. I dont come on forums and post uninformed drivel. If you feel compelled to do paper work that you dont get paid for, that's your problem..........you can still do it at home while you are on strike anyway........you are meant to be taking at least 20+ hours of face to face teaching per week aren't you, so you spend another 80+ hours doing paperwork? you lose credibility when you exaggerate.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'm on less than 47k. Range is between 45 and roughly 65 and takes 10 to 12 years to reach that. There is nothing over 65k unless you take on a Principal job and even the pay scale for what they do is pathetic.

What do you think the job should be paid?

Reaper

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Yeah pretty close. When i came out of uni a couple of years ago it was less. It has increased ever so slightly, but it is not even close to increases in everything else. The thing that annoys me the most is I get paid the same as a slacker we had working with us. There isn't opportunity for overtime or extra hours. I'm good for working my arse off for more money but i don't get that opportunity.

Anyway i don't want to hijack the thread and make it a poor me thread. Bottom line is the gov't needs to re-assess teachers and a bunch of other essential services in order to keep them running at a satisfactory level.

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Best not to assume, what I do and dont know. I dont come on forums and post uninformed drivel. If you feel compelled to do paper work that you dont get paid for, that's your problem..........you can still do it at home while you are on strike anyway........you are meant to be taking at least 20+ hours of face to face teaching per week aren't you, so you spend another 80+ hours doing paperwork? you lose credibility when you exaggerate.

Face to face is very different to sit down and actually teach. I spend more time planning than spending quality teaching time with kids. It certainly varies from week to week but remember i will spend 3-4 days of the holidays i am on now planning term 2 and tidying loose ends of term 1's paperwork. It doesn't always happen during term. Kids are only at school for 200 odd days and i don't teach them that whole time either.
So no, there isn't really credibility to be lost- I'm telling you what i do and how i do it. Like you and i have discussed before you don't have any credibility because you hide behind a screen name, which while i respect your privacy i'm sure other members will agree it makes it hard to take what you profess to know seriously.

What do you think the job should be paid?

Reaper

You know that's a question i've never been asked. You've left me something to ponder while i fill the big plumbing dilemma hole in the front yard....