Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN S1 Manual - Vibration Under Load

geta

Reaction score
As the topic states. I have started to get a vibration under load either from takeoff (not planting the foot or anything) or up hills with mid accelerator pedal depression.

In my old gemini, this seemed to be a tappet issue, however speaking to a couple of other, some seem to think it could be the clutch plate springs, or knock sensor.

Any other ideas?

I have just had a service done. So new leads, plugs, oil, filters, etc.

The only other issue with the car is the fuel tank breather hoses need changing (fuel smell from rear of the car when tank is full). However I dont think this would cause the above issue.

-dave

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
1stly check your wheel nuts it may sound silly but it could be. if it only under load like you say then id be getting your uni joints and center bearing on your tailshaft checked. if it vibrates when your rolling but not in gear id suspect your diff or again tailshaft.

the most common cause of vibration is from the tailshaft, other than that it could be you clutch, but it is very unlikely the vibration is coming from your motor. it could even be a wheel out of balance but that again would happen with no load. Id take it to a mech and get their oppinion or if you like to fix things yourself take the saft off and take it to a drivetrain mob for inspection it could even be out of balance if the unis and center bearing are good

geta

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I need to be a bit more specific.

These are situation when it vibrates:

* From the lights, taking off in first, rattle for 1-2 seconds, then ok.
* For example, when sitting in fourth at 60ishkph, and put foot down a bit to speed up w/o changing gears = rattle.
* Going up a steepish hill at 70 in fourth again. Depress accelerator to compensate for hill = rattle.

It's not happening at a specific rpm, or speed, which makes me think its not wheel nuts or driveshaft, or centre bearings. Its not a resonant speed vibration/rattle either.

-dave

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
what do you mean by rattle... as in noise??

nathans1987

Reaction score
Website
4316.awardspace.com
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6
i have a manual which does the smae thing unless i change down gear the rattle at the start i just give it a bit more revs and let the cluch out faster(mabe i do it slower it sone of those things you do unconciously). i would also like to know if it can be fixed.
it only does it at low revs for me.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
low rev rattles and vibration = bottom end bearings more than likely youll know if it gets louder after time like if it get louder in a month or two shes gone

thats what happened to my gf's man vn went away with revs thought it couldnt be anything serious lol was very wrong