Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP 304 Rebuild Advice

The pig

Reaction score
Members Ride
69 rs ss camaro/ rodeo dual cab
Jimmy you get what u pay for unfortunately going "cheapish" isnt a good option, if u want to get a rebuild try to spend as much money on good quality components as possible, a stroker kit might involve a bit of machining for clearances etc so unfortunately your $3000 budget is over spent already stroker kits are anywhere from $2000 to $5000+ depending on parts used and work neccisary to do it. A stroked motor does sound nice and will also handle crapy fuel without detonation, all the best, someone on this forum may have a stroker kit for sale cheapish and if u can do as much work on your own youll save dollars.

james_ryan02

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden HG Prem / VP commo
ok i see where you's are getting at, sorry if I'm repeating, I'm just trying to push and understand properly. It is obvious the more u spend the better quality the parts will be and the performance and durability will be far better.

This is the kit I am looking at

Scat Cast Crank 3.48
I-Beam Rods 5.7
Hypatec Flat Top Pistons 30 Thou
Moly Rings Narrow
Rear Main Seal
Bearings-Mains-Conrod-Cam
Full Gasket Set

The only thing I can see which is cheap in this kit is the crank, Only because its not steel but I have been told that the cast crank is supposed to be good for 500hp @ 6500 so I should be good to go?? - Just wanting a fat streeter which has a tone of power, also which will last?

Thoughts on this? thanks again!

The pig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate of mine ran a scat crank in his altered drag car, never had a problem, but yes unfortunately more u spend better quality the components happier youll be, you gotta make sure your rotating assembly is strong coz, i saw a blown 454 let one of its pistons go on an engine dyno and appaet from scareing the crap out of us it destroyed the block, your parts list sounds ok but honestly mate go to a race engine builder find out before you start spending.

The pig

Reaction score
Members Ride
You want a fat streeter with tons of power that will last $3000 will possibly buy you the crank for what you want you could be looking at a $15000 + build up, i used to paint and machine harley davidson and hsv hubs and wheels all cast and id stay away from cast if your putting alot of load on it coz we used to get alot of pourosity which is heaps of tiny pin prick holes inthe machined casting and theyd get rejected and re melted. Forged everything mate, much stronger and less prone to defects;)

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
The ebay kits are fine. Most people that will say "dont buy them" have never even looked at one...

Your after a budget build and those kits suit your price, it wont go bang if you treat it right...

james_ryan02

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden HG Prem / VP commo
alright cheers!

I know exactly what i need now, and exactly how much power it will produce, both from this forum and others.
Im going to upgrade and get the forged pistons too.
The machining started off expensive but i found a guy that needs work and is doing it real cheap i.e $30 per 30thou bore.

Cheers for you help, thanks again!

Jimmy