Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP SS Front Rims/Offset

vpsswa05

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 Holden Commodore VP SS Auto
Hi, I have a 91 VP SS which I have bought a couple years ago to restore. It has VY S 17" mags all around but the fronts just sit right hard up against the front strut (the tyre 235/45).

I have fitted VR rear control arms in there to widen the track and now the VY wheels fit perfectly and nice against the squared arches.

What are my options as far as front wheels go? (and cheap) Do I have to find BMW wheels with a +30 or so offset? I just need something fairly cheap and easy as I want to drive it in the next few weeks around the block but I dont want to waste money on skinny tyres to just have to buy something again later. Thanks :D

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
VP & VQ IRS had a different offset to everything else.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Hi, I have a 91 VP SS which I have bought a couple years ago to restore. It has VY S 17" mags all around but the fronts just sit right hard up against the front strut (the tyre 235/45).

I have fitted VR rear control arms in there to widen the track and now the VY wheels fit perfectly and nice against the squared arches.

What are my options as far as front wheels go? (and cheap) Do I have to find BMW wheels with a +30 or so offset? I just need something fairly cheap and easy as I want to drive it in the next few weeks around the block but I dont want to waste money on skinny tyres to just have to buy something again later. Thanks :D
Make sure that the hole in the centre is the same size as the Holden rim. I don't think you will achieve this with BMW rims. The studs are there to hold the rim on and are not load bearing.

vpsswa05

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 Holden Commodore VP SS Auto
I dont understand how VP SS and VQ had a different offset in the front though? The control arms are the same as VN I believe? I've already fitted all brand new bushes and suspension components to the car so I wont want to be changing anything out as much as I can.

Thanks Keith... the BMW centre bore is bigger than the commodore, so I can use a spacer ring to locate it. It will be safe like that.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Irs and non irs comm had different rim offsets too .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
From what I'm aware of, the VP IRS had a different offset for the rear....The front is identical to the normal VP....

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
From what I'm aware of, the VP IRS had a different offset for the rear....The front is identical to the normal VP....
The VP IRS had different wheels for the front and rear? News to me.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VY mags should be a 48p offset. VN/VP I believe were a 42p/45p offset. VY wheels should fit on VN/VP without fouling on the strut. One thing I have encountered with VT mags on a VN was that the wheel bearings needed a touch more tension which solved my problem with the tires rubbing on the strut.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The VP IRS had different wheels for the front and rear? News to me.

I wrote it incorrectly...Yes the rear offsets were different on the IRS equipped VQ/VP....But you can put standard VP (Or VB through to VZ) wheels on the front of VP IRS equipped Commodores/Statesmans...

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Is there some confusion here about wheel offsets, and rear track width ?
Early IRS track width was narrower than live axle track width.
My daughter had a VC (or VH) with SLE 15x6 rims. These were transferred to her VS Acclaim, which I am sure was same IRS as VP, with no fitment problems.
If I am wrong about this, tell me why.