Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr 5lt questions

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Have you checked for error codes ?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
no, i haven't checked for error codes, always thought that it had to be running to log any faults. i will read codes and see what it says after i get home today from workies.

The history of this car is that it belongs to a friend who has a special place in his heart for this car. we would dearly love to see it up and running for him. Another person has had a shot at making it work and just threw parts at it to see what would make it work. while doing his thing he broke the throttle body which is oh so anoying, so now rather than close correctly it gets stuck in what i would call 1/4 position. the alternator has been replaced is it let the smoke out, starter motor has been replaced as it let the smoke out and let bits all out. coil has been done, ignition module, disy and rotor have been replaced. then it ended up with me. no spark so replaced disy, rotor and coil, no pulse so replced ignition mod. no rotate under starting conditions so replaced starter. now it tries to start, makes all the coughing sounds like hey i wanna start, but wont fire.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Is number one towards the back of the dizzy? Should be two posts pretty well parallel to the firewall, number one is the RH one looking at it from the front.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Quite correct Not_An_Abba_Fan - refer to diagram below.

Are all leads on their correct positions on the distributor cap? Note that the distibutor cap fastening clip should be between the 1&2 cylinder leads and the 4&5 cylinder leads.

upload_2017-2-28_19-45-38.png

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Quite correct Not_An_Abba_Fan - refer to diagram below.

Are all leads on their correct positions on the distributor cap? Note that the distibutor cap fastening clip should be between the 1&2 cylinder leads and the 4&5 cylinder leads.

View attachment 190528
All are as its ment to be. Still not firing. Could a busted throttle body have anythibg to do with it perhaps? Now clutching at straws.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Busted how?

I'd look at the fuel system. Check the regulator, pull the vacuum line off and see if it's wet. Make sure you have good fuel pressure, could be the pump. Just because you have fuel at the line doesn't mean there is enough there to actually make the car run. How much fuel is in the tank? Put 20L in just to make sure. The gauge could be wrong if it's reading.

Last edited:

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Busted how?
Some one has lent on the top of the body where cruise and throttle cables meet now it wont close to normal position. Cause spring is shagged

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That won't do it, if it does start, it will just rev it's tits off.

Can you bend the mechanism back into place?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
when u say vacumm line. Is it on the drivers side at the rear of the fuel rail? And if so where does it vanish to.

Yes, the vacuum module on the back of the fuel rail on the drivers side is the regulator. The line goes to the back of the intake manifold. There are two spiggots, one smaller than the other, it goes to that one. If you pull the vacuum line off the regulator and it has fuel in it, then the regulator is stuffed and will be pumping fuel into the intake manifold. Shouldn't stop it running though, will just be over fuelling at idle. My money is on the pump.