Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr 5lt questions

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
True that. Those bolts can be a PITA.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
No, no, no!!! Don't remove the rocker cover. It's a real bugger to get back on - especially the one on the driver side. Just had to replace a rocker cover gasket on the wife's VS Clubsport and it's a bugger to get the bolt nearest to the firewall back in and tightened. Just put your finger (or someone else's finger) in the No.1 spark plug hole (after removing the spark plug obviously) and you should be able to feel when the No.1 cylinder is on its compression stroke and go from there.

way back last week we did the tcd check, didnt do the finger on the plug hole trick, but we did line up the mark on ballancer and did see that the dissy was pointing to where it was ment to be. so kinda assumed it was in the right position. The thing that sucks is there is no marks on the dissy cap that says this is number 1. so literly lined up a spot where number 1 should be and followed the firing order from there. It's so painfully close to firing its soooooo anoying. it has rained out the back so when the ground is a bit driver im gonna drop the fuel filter and replace with the new one i got. i do have a new fuel pump i picked up just in case this one is stuffed. but the ground has to dry out. hate getting wet from grass im such a sook.

and who can tell me where CHAT has gone, i miss the chat window.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I reckon the firing order is out then. The mark on the balancer will line up twice on tdc, once on the compression stroke and once on the exhaust stroke...hence a 4 stroke motor.

You will need to get it to tdc on the compression stroke. Put your finger over number 1 spark plug hole while you turn it by hand, you will get compression. Then line the mark up and look where the button on the dizzy is pointing. Should be roughly 1 oclock when looking at it from the front

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
if it is out 180 is it a simple case of moving the leads to suite the new number 1 position?

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I reckon the firing order is out then. The mark on the balancer will line up twice on tdc, once on the compression stroke and once on the exhaust stroke...hence a 4 stroke motor.

You will need to get it to tdc on the compression stroke. Put your finger over number 1 spark plug hole while you turn it by hand, you will get compression. Then line the mark up and look where the button on the dizzy is pointing. Should be roughly 1 oclock when looking at it from the front

This guy knows his ****.
removed number 1, felt the compression stroke, sure was a strange feeling having the suck blow thing happening. found the compression stroke, removed the dissy cap, and bingo, out by 180'. so now number 1 is where number 4 should be and like wise everything else. and sure enough after a bit of coughing and carrying on it started. so im extremely happy and very thankfull to you not_an_abba_fan for your kind words and expert advice. so now have 1 vr back on the road to tear it up and show these hoons how things are done.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Excellent.....but needs more ride thread now.

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Excellent.....but needs more ride thread now.
it needs to see the inside of a wrecking yard. Fired it up and talk about issues. it's over heating, has no brakes, alternator isn't charging, spewing oil out of the passengers side valve cover, and the power steering rack is complaining all the time. The guy who owns this car is coming over today so ill be doing my best to get him to take it away today and get it wrecked, seriously not worth fixing this car up. airbag light is on, exhaust is cut, tail lights are cracked. roof lining falling down, the list goes on and on and on and on.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
This makes me sad......

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Glad it's going again, but the dizzy being 180 out is a very common issue when changing it.

All that effort for a wreck....might be worth fixing up though if you can get it cheap.

Garth

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Glad it's going again, but the dizzy being 180 out is a very common issue when changing it.

All that effort for a wreck....might be worth fixing up though if you can get it cheap.

spoke to the owner about it on Sunday, he wants to fix it up as it's his little brothers car who lost his life in a tragic accident. so i will invest some time and help out with the re-build, will be a slow slog but will get there eventually.