Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Acclaim - door pin removal with tool

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
Thanks for this - see what you mean... I've got some aluminum tape that I could put behind the pin - that might work.

In the meantime it was suggested it could be the door strap spring (?) at the front - the sound seems to be coming from the rear but it's not easy to pick. I put some of the alu tape on the striker loop to try to tighten the striker mechanism before but it hasn't made any real difference. - tried it a while ago and it didn't do much then. I just found a good video on the strap spring so maybe I need to take the door cover off again. Odd this - my car is now 30 years old and was originally owned by a couple in a country area but it has almost no rattles or squeaks even on rough roads...

Thanks a lot for the photo - it helps.
Just to follow this up, I bought a Torx kit and loosened off the screws holding the striker bar/loop. Was surprised to find it is quite adjustable - I think I became a bit confused with the difference between the striker bar and the locking mechanism. I marked the position of the striker bar with tape following two videos and fiddled with it a bit...

Moved it up a couple of mm but the door wouldn't close properly, so using the dust marks indicating the original position I moved it back. Must have angled it just a mm or so and I found the clunk had disappeared... The problem then though was that the door became a bit sticky to close and I found it hadn't locked several times when I drove the car off. But I just adjusted it again (looks like it hasn't moved) and the door closes more smoothly but the clunk has still gone - for the moment at least...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Those striker plates are a bastard to get right. I don't think I was ever completely happy with mine and I played with it a lot. Even the window frame tightness affects it. You can also make it slightly better by jacking up the rear of the door or giving it a few hard lifts.

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
Those striker plates are a bastard to get right. I don't think I was ever completely happy with mine and I played with it a lot. Even the window frame tightness affects it. You can also make it slightly better by jacking up the rear of the door or giving it a few hard lifts.
Not wrong - I've just readjusted mine a fraction and the door seems to be closing ok and no clunk thank goodness...

A lot easier than trying to take the door pins out...