Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Calais with t5 conversion wont start

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
have a look at a factory manual vr near the shifter under the console, where the factory reverse wires through the trans tunnel there is a plug, this is what i'm referring to.
in an auto it also goes to the inhibitor switch and has 4 wires going to the switch.
in a manual the plug has a wire loop joining 2 pins and 2 wires going off to the reverse switch, comes like this from the factory, without the wire loop you will have no starter.
It is not part of the engine/ecu loom at all.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
have a look at a factory manual vr near the shifter under the console, where the factory reverse wires through the trans tunnel there is a plug, this is what i'm referring to.
in an auto it also goes to the inhibitor switch and has 4 wires going to the switch.
in a manual the plug has a wire loop joining 2 pins and 2 wires going off to the reverse switch, comes like this from the factory, without the wire loop you will have no starter.
It is not part of the engine/ecu loom at all.

If I ever feel the need to do so I will, but for now I would rather focus on the OP's problem.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
If I ever feel the need to do so I will, but for now I would rather focus on the OP's problem.

and that is why i initially asked if the OP had done the mod, if he hasn't it's a high possibility that it is the cause before you piped up saying it isn't needed.

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz
how are they not the same? the unit is exactly the same, and all they are is a motor with a solenoid which when sent power, drives the flywheel gear?
checked the diagnostics and it came up with code 33 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) high voltage ?

Auto and Manual starters are most definately not the same.

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
Auto and Manual starters are most definately not the same.

Agreed and also you will need to put a manual starter in firstly then bridge the auto terminals at the shifter.. then you should be alryt to go

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
late VP's and some early auto VR's used a manual starter motor. so good chance they are the same. the starter won't physically fit in and bolt up properly if you try and fit an 'auto' starter to a manual.

people need to stop responding if they don't know whats going on.

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
thanks for the replies guys
my Calais is a 93 model, and the starter motors when put beside each other are the exact same, to the teeth.
I am able to start and run my car by unplugging the purple wire near the relay box and extend another wire from the pin to the positive terminal..

I have not bridged any wires or anything to my gearbox, there was no inhibitor switch or anything in the cockpit or on my manual loom that was not connected to anything?
I feel stupid but if I am wrong, would you draw a rough diagram to explain this to me?
I could upload some photos if need be to explain

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
when you removed the auto shifter, you had to unplug it right? from inside the car
join the Grey & Grey/Bl wires together

the plug that used to connect to the inhibitor switch in the pic below
135268d1329785340-vr-calais-t5-conversion-wont-start-shifter.jpg

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-conversion-wiring-step-step-instruction.html

93511d1274330845-vs-commodore-manual-auto-conversion-wiring-step-step-instruction-img_0001.jpg

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 5,500
Last edited:

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
heck yes got it started and it's running beaut! sounds louder, crackles heaps on the decel, and I only paid $200 for all my parts haha
ended up being the inhibitor switch, and btw the starter motor IS exactly the same. possibly cause it's an early model or something..dunno
thanks for all the help guys! might post pics up in another thread when I put my 19's back on it after the camber kit.