Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr rb30 turbo project

tadpol88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
hi guys! ive been following the threads that vn luke has been posting about his vn twin charged rb30 sleeper. and have started my own quest for chasis twisting power. calling it the vr rb30 turbo project. im looking for any and all ideas that any of you might have to improve the hp fuel consumption etc. ill be making various parts that i will be selling if any one wants to do the rb30 convertion them selves.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
build it ground up on gas :) . that'd be good on fuel consumption compared to petrol

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
so.... does your VR already have an RB30DET in it and you are planning to twin-charge or are you planning to put an RB30DET in your VR?

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Just a question, how much power do you hope to achieve? I mean is it something you'd gain significantly over a buick twin turbo'd 6?
I mean if this is a project it sounds awesome, but as far as money goes I personally would stick with a buick 6 and force induce it... the power gain between both engines could only really be minimal if your wanting to acheive power and economy?
Anyways mate I wish ya the best with it! :thumbsup:

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Ussualy when you want power you can say goodbye to the good fuel consumption. You need to burn more fuel to get more power.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
so.... does your VR already have an RB30DET in it and you are planning to twin-charge or are you planning to put an RB30DET in your VR?

its rb30et luke.

DET= dual cam

rb30 = single ;)

and mate, youll strugle to get mind bobling fuel economy out of it.. build yourself up a low comp forged bottom end, with a mild boosted cam, either keep the single cam head or use a 25 head, your choice, youll need decent manifolds also. shouldnt be a problem there are plenty around, and your engine bay has plenty of room :p.

as for mounting, it was far easier for luke as he used the vl crossmember which bolts straight up to the vn chasis, but as far as i know of, not the vr. so youll run into a few issues there.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
its rb30et luke.

DET= dual cam

rb30 = single ;)

D = twin cam
E = injected
T = turbo

RB30ET = SOHC turbo injected :whistling

EDIT: to clarify, E is multi point injection. i is single point (throttle body) injection

SHIFT3D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
I was looking at doing this to my VS calais, would shock some people out there when ya pop the bonnet

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
best of luck man i think its a great idea! make sure u keep regular posts

Smallies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 3.8/ VN Calais 5.0/ VY Wagon
D = twin cam
E = injected
T = turbo

RB30ET = SOHC turbo injected :whistling

EDIT: to clarify, E is multi point injection. i is single point (throttle body) injection

Yeah lachie, geez, get with the program lol.