Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Statesman VSS Issue

rlumb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman
Hi Guys,

I have a VR statesman with me at the moment that wont select first gear unless its turned off and turned back on again. Bit o a back story, the owner did a tranny filter and oil change on it and damaged something internally. The gearbox was sent off to be rebuilt. When the gearbox came back it was fine for an amount of time i believe then it started having this issue where you can put it in drive, it will take off in first gear but once it goes in to second gear it wont go back to first unless you turn the car off and back on again. ive so far tested the vss which tests within spec, ive tested continuity/resistance between vss and ecm everything normal there, i have had oscilliscope on the vss and wave forms are not that great. ive also tested ac current into the ecm and getting 0.080mV, ive also tested speedo out put from ecm and it measure 8.53v which is out of spec and doesnt change with vehicle speed.

the vehicle does display code 24 for VSS

any help would be muchly appreciated.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
What code on the side of the trans? (5HBD etc)
Has the VSS been replaced? Does the hall effect gear behind VSS sensor look normal or damaged?

rlumb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman
What code on the side of the trans? (5HBD etc)
Has the VSS been replaced? Does the hall effect gear behind VSS sensor look normal or damaged?
Not too sure for code on side of trans sorry will be able to look tomorrow, VSS has been replaced from what I’m lead to believe I haven’t removed it to inspect it yet though

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Refer to the attached from the Holden Factory Service manual for testing the VSS. Note that the diagnostic indicates that once DTC24 is set, the transmission has second gear only. Is that what you are experiencing?

Attachments

• DTC24.pdf
    220.4 KB · Views: 119