Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr v6 supercharged problems

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if someone would send me a charger for free ide find out LOL

YEH747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR -BAGGED AND CHARGED 6 & BMW E46 03
Well spoke to my engine builder and he thinks i might need to send my chip for a retune to add some more timing so it makes more boost. He also said for best results 2.5" pipes off the headers into to 2.5" hi flow cats, then merge into single 3" with hi flow muffler either one or two depending how loud i want it. Im guessing this is recomended as its good flow and backpressure to make good power.

Still havnt got around to do boost leak test, will hopefully do it next week.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
a retune is not gonna gain you 7psi of boost unless you crank timing so far you hit detonation and cause the engine to become inefficient.finding a big leak changing cam timing or spinning the charger faster will.
if you still had pcv and the breather from TB to manifold hooked up that would be where i would look but youve allready told me that you have blocked the TB hose and pcv .generally they are the big leaks when people go boosted send all the boost down into the crankcase and blows the dipstick out.post some clear engine bay pics so we can see where you may be going wrong with the setup ie BOV hoses on the wrong side of the TB butterfly etc

YEH747

Reaction score
Members Ride
a retune is not gonna gain you 7psi of boost unless you crank timing so far you hit detonation and cause the engine to become inefficient.finding a big leak changing cam timing or spinning the charger faster will.
if you still had pcv and the breather from TB to manifold hooked up that would be where i would look but youve allready told me that you have blocked the TB hose and pcv .generally they are the big leaks when people go boosted send all the boost down into the crankcase and blows the dipstick out.post some clear engine bay pics so we can see where you may be going wrong with the setup ie BOV hoses on the wrong side of the TB butterfly etc

Hopefully there is a big leak and thats all this is! i will do boost leak test asap as need to rule that one out!

i Can explain it like this if it helps caus theres hoses everywhere.

Firstly off my brake booster hose there is a T piece, one side going to gearbox for vacuum line as needed for full manual shift kit then the other continues on into abit of hose then another t piece one side into back of manifold then other to my BOV hose. There is then a T piece off the bov hose one side to FPR and other to BOV.

All throttle body hoses are blocked off except one out the bottom that goes to map sensor.

PCV hose goes to catch can

If you need diagram caus i havnt explained it the best i can do one.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Tees off tees off tees is bad.so is feeding boost to the trans .maybe you bovs arnt closeing enough or fast enough due to all the teeeeees

Sent from my C8660 using Tapatalk 2

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well spoke to my engine builder and he thinks i might need to send my chip for a retune to add some more timing so it makes more boost. He also said for best results 2.5" pipes off the headers into to 2.5" hi flow cats, then merge into single 3" with hi flow muffler either one or two depending how loud i want it. Im guessing this is recomended as its good flow and backpressure to make good power.

Still havnt got around to do boost leak test, will hopefully do it next week.

Here is that bloody back pressure myth again. If the guy says you need back pressure in the exhaust I would say you need to find a new guy as it's a totally wrong.

AS delco mentioned, with a supercharger you can't get more boost from changing the timing, boost is a measure of restriction and a function of how fast the blower turns which is purely mechanical.

I'm with Delco, get rid of the "Tee" pieces. Fairly sure that Tim @ Raptor has also said that the blow-off valves each need their own feed to ensure proper function.

Last edited:

YEH747

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is that bloody back pressure myth again. If the guy says you need back pressure in the exhaust I would say you need to find a new guy as it's a total wrong.

AS delco mentioned, with a supercharger you can't get more boost from changing the timing, boost is a measure of restriction and a function of how fast the blower turns which is purely mechanical.

I'm with Delco, get rid of the "Tee" pieces. Fairly sure that Tim @ Raptor has also said that the blow-off valves each need their own feed to ensure proper function.

He didnt say it needs backpressure i was guessing that because he told me to put it from twin to single which also difillipo recomended, otherwise they would both tell me to keep full twin system wouldnt they?? Im really confused with all these different opinions as what to run, i think personally full twin 2.5" would be ultimate but my engine builder says his recomended one is the best setup to run and Tim also said to listen to him even though he recomended twin 2.5" himself :/

I agree with both of you the T pieces have to be fixed.

In neutral or park when reving it you can feel and hear it shut as soon you rev past about 1500-2k and then dump when you back off. Also sounds like its working fine when driving, i guess to test this unplug vacuum line and see if it makes more boost without BOV?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if the bov's arnt plumbed in you wont get anymore boost than the spring setting in the bov they will blow open they need the boost blowing in the pipes to hold shut.

YEH747

Reaction score
Members Ride
if the bov's arnt plumbed in you wont get anymore boost than the spring setting in the bov they will blow open they need the boost blowing in the pipes to hold shut.

plumbed into where?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the vacuam hoses need to goto the manifold side of the TB butterfly.vacuam will suck them open and boost will hold them shut