Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr V8 Temperature

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
by that picture and u said sitting idling after a drive seems perfectly fine. it aint gonna move much further down unless u drive around getting the cool air in. thermo fan usually kicks in around half way so it dont seem like u have a problem. for ur own sake get a flush done anyway, midas do them for around $88 including thermo, gasket, high pressure blast and holden coolant. well worth it to get rid of the gunk

jimbojones889

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VR Executive Wagon
and if it was running cold all the time, couldve been that the thermo that was in there was stuck open, making the water run through all the time

Descent Gilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
yeah it was stuck open a 1/4 inch.

i spoke to a mate who has the same car and his runs at the same temp. so i'm happy with that.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like your engine fan may not be working properly if the temperature gets that high on a cold day when idling. To test:
1. Drive vehicle to achieve normal operating temperature.
2. Stop vehicle and run engine at approx 2000 rpm.
3. Listen for fan engaging (indicated by fan noise or "roar) when engine is hot. When temperature has been reduced sufficiently, fan clutch should disengage - indicated by a drop in fan noise.
4. If fan is continuously engaged or disengaged, replace thermostatic clutch.

BTW, Holden service manual says that thermostat should begin to open at 89-93C and be fully open at not more than 103C.

Descent Gilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute
it wasnt a cold day.

i've done that test fan sounds like its working fine.

i'll check the temp with a marked gauge when i get a chance

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
that looks about right, just cant remember exactly what my lev 2 dash was, but if you take it to a workshop with a scantool, they can plug in an tell you what temp its at, and yeah, 91 deg is a good t/stat, dont want the motor too cold, motors make most power up round 90 - 95