Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs 304 To vh conversion

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Haha tko or t56 seriously? Followed by a 3" one piece shaft and 31splined billet 9 inch diff?

I dont think the op is heading in that direction to justify a box like that.

Good luck with the conversion butcha....I just hope it doesn't turn out the same as ya name :p
Theres plenty of us here who have done this before so there's plenty of knowledge floating around

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
Haha tko or t56 seriously? Followed by a 3" one piece shaft and 31splined billet 9 inch diff?

I dont think the op is heading in that direction to justify a box like that.

Good luck with the conversion butcha....I just hope it doesn't turn out the same as ya name :p
Theres plenty of us here who have done this before so there's plenty of knowledge floating around

I popped 2 t5's in my standard stroke vn ss with a 286 cam and lightened flywheel, it was just a suggestion.
also tko boxes aren't that expensive you can buy a tko500 second hand for about 1500-2k i did with mine with a bellhousing.

again just a suggestion depends which direction he wants to go with the engine.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I popped 2 t5's in my standard stroke vn ss with a 286 cam and lightened flywheel, it was just a suggestion.
also tko boxes aren't that expensive you can buy a tko500 second hand for about 1500-2k i did with mine with a bellhousing.

again just a suggestion depends which direction he wants to go with the engine.

it probably more has to do with how you plan on driving the car. I've seen T5's behind stroker engines that seem to hang on
the T5 won't take a lot of abuse - so if you plan on doing a lot of burnouts, regularly dumping the clutch hard, slamming gears etc then you are going to break it. But having said that I don't nurse my car. It's seen more than a few 1 & 2nd gear power skids, 'spirited' mountain drives and as said track work. However, in general I drive it hard, but treat the box with an element of respect and no problems.

Sounds like you got a good deal with your TKO. I've kept my eye out for a second hand TK0500 for some time now (in readiness should the T5 let go) but haven't found anything in the price range you mentioned. In fact I don't find many used TKO's for sale at all!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I got one of these for the VK about 2 months ago, best damn thing i ever bought you'll love it.

good to hear that, cheers
yeah I thought it would be a good ratio
3.08 is a bit tall around town (car gets a bit cranky in 4th gear if the speedo drops much under 60kph/1100rpm) and it's in between 3rd and 4th coming out of the eastern loop onto the main straight at Lakeside. But at the same time, I didn't want it to pick up a lot of rpm on the highway so 3.36 seemed like the logical choice

Hoska91

Formerly 75HJPREM
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getz Lyfe & E34 Project
it probably more has to do with how you plan on driving the car. I've seen T5's behind stroker engines that seem to hang on
the T5 won't take a lot of abuse - so if you plan on doing a lot of burnouts, regularly dumping the clutch hard, slamming gears etc then you are going to break it. But having said that I don't nurse my car. It's seen more than a few 1 & 2nd gear power skids, 'spirited' mountain drives and as said track work. However, in general I drive it hard, but treat the box with an element of respect and no problems.

Sounds like you got a good deal with your TKO. I've kept my eye out for a second hand TK0500 for some time now (in readiness should the T5 let go) but haven't found anything in the price range you mentioned. In fact I don't find many used TKO's for sale at all!

haha very fair point darren, i saw this come up so i had to take it for a steal, couldn't say no.

and now it's sitting around without a car to go in as my vn ss got totalled :(

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
Hey,

I put a t5 behind my 304 in my vh, not sure what k frame i am using. but i just have a 284 cam, bigger manifold and throttle body. 9" diff. goes pretty good, didnt have to cut the tunnel. just need to make a custom plate for the center console. Only problem i have now is i believe i have the 6cyl pedal box so my clutch sits very high, not sure if im using the vn or a vh v8 cable. i hear if i use the 6 vh clutch cable it should level out but its trial and error with that situation. I gave up looking for a vh v8 manual pedal box.

Enjoy the build and good luck

geforcevb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
diff gears are currently 3.08, but I have a set of 3.36 gears I'm going to throw in once I get the truetrac centre. I use the same diff/ratio for the road & track. It's only a casual track car, nothing too serious, just the occasional street sprints day

I only have chassis dyno readings which really don't mean much when it comes to torque
4 different dyno charts
1. 'max torque' 1146NM
2. 'torque' 1150lb
3. torque rear NM' - 375/ 3507NM 'Motive Force'
4. 'tractive effort' 820lb

make of that what you will lol ;)

Darren are you going to sell you 3.08 gears