Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 5 litre won’t start

Haydentksh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v8
I was driving my 5l home and when I pulled up it turned off and is just clicking when I tune the key to start anyone got any idea have spark and fuel

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it is just clicking when you go to turn it over, how can you tell it has fuel and spark?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Battery on the way out?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Sounds like alternator isn't charging and you managed to drive home on battery but now it's flat. Clicking sounds like starter relay.

Check battery voltages static and cranking to confirm battery health and maybe alternator brushes and charge wire connections.

Haydentksh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v8
Battery is good. when I turn the key the fuel pump kicks in everything turns on it goes to turn over then clicks

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Battery is good. when I turn the key the fuel pump kicks in everything turns on it goes to turn over then clicks
That doesn’t necessarily mean the battery is good. It could have enough charge to run the electronics but not enough oomph to kick it over.

How long has it been since the battery was replaced? If it’s more than about 4-5 years it’s on borrowed time if it’s not cactus now.

Haydentksh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v8
I put a Truck battery up to it and still nothing

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I put a Truck battery up to it and still nothing
Ok. The next thing in line would be the starter motor or starter motor solenoid. Have someone crank the engine and tap the solenoid (the small canister on the starter motor) with the handle of a hammer or other suitably blunt object. That can be enough to dislodge the solenoid if it’s sticking.

If it starts then you need a new starter motor or if your mechanically inclined you can dismantle the starter motor and clean up the solenoid assembly which may fix it with zero dollars spent.