Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS fuel economy problems

jazza21

Executive (Ex-Police)
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VS II Exec 1997
It's like fighting a losing battle...

Best travel I ever got was 11.9/100K's.

But now putting on the sport exhaust might improve it.

And the Catalytic converter I am sure is a culprit, not enough flow through of exhaust so the engine management adds more fuel to compensate for loss of power... That's what I can put mine down to anyway.

I have replaced the plugs, filters (fuel filter was filled with black crap), had it tested on two different computers (no codes after I replaced main wiring harness), fluid levels all OK, leads all within spec's. No problems detected.

kbn000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII (Lexcen) 1997
Someone else at work sugested the catalytic converter too. can they be removed without stuffing up the computer? any idea of what they are worth to replace?
i am going back through my memory, and i am certain we used to get 550 to 600 to a tank - run almost to empty (my wife never seems to know what that beeping noise is, and figures if she drives faster and further it will go away). and that was around town. we now drive probably 70% of the time at 100kmh, and the mileage is down to less than 400.

B

Brian Sutherland

ProbablyO2 sensors but put a couple of injector cleans thru as well

My VS was running OK only fuel economy had dropped to 300-350km from +500.
IF you have replaced leads, plugs, air fileter, clean oil etc etc THEN O2 sensors will probably fix it.
But shop around, Holden pricing is a little dear$$ :)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
this is slightly off topic...but when i read kbn000 saying he'd run the tank till the warning light come on i had to say something.
no wonder ur economy is bad u shouldnt run a tank empty,ull just suck up all that crap and sediment from the very bottom of the tank and distribute it nicely throughout ur fuel system.
run the tank till its on the last line (not empty,the one above that) then fill up again,and use a good fuel...a car is only as good as its fuel,get ur octane levels up.

kbn000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII (Lexcen) 1997
Thanks, sircruisealot, i will take your advice on that too. the only trouble is the fact my wife drives the car most of the time.... normally when i hop in it the warning light is on. I will try explaining what you said above to her, but don't like my chances of leaving the room alive.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hahaha.good stuff mate

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I filled up 180 kms ago and the fuel guage is still just (the thickness of the guage line) off full.

7 lit / 100 kms is about what I get in the wagon.

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
i also have a VS Berlina Series II V6 auto sedan and when i first bought it i was getting 16lts p/100 km's. after i bought it i replaced the plugs, leads (only due to missfire), put a k and n filter in with VS s/charged 6 cold air intake. i have also fitted my self a set of HM headers. this improved things heaps until the ecm light came on. being a holden mechanic i plugged tech 1 and found a code logged for the o2 sensor. what had happened due to the age of the car and being the original sensors it wasn't getting a very good earth signal so i actually rewired the earth for both sensors and now they work fine. i drive the car pretty hard all the time and around the cithy has gone from 16lts p/100km's to 11.8lts and on the freeway it has been down to about 8.9lts p/100km's. if you want me to explain how to rewire the earths on the o2's before you replace them send me an email and will give you instructions.

V

vyblacklumina

Getting 500km easy with VR 225000 on the clock. Had injectors done yesterday with fuel filter as well....how much more will i get after injectors have been done?? 50kms?

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
get 550 / tank (11l / 100k) driving it around town, (reasonably carefully)
750 (8.5l / 100k) on a trip melb - bris (me & the missus, no load)
i have found my best fuel economy to be when i sit on 90kph!!!!!
when you're in the 110kph zones, fuel consumption goes up to say 9+l / 100k.