Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Motor stuffed. Opinions on whether to fix etc

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Managed to kill the motor in a VS. Trying to figure out what the best option is financially.

Pretty sure the heads have had it, water disappearing and running as rough as guts, would it be best to drop in a reco motor, have the heads fixed or just sell as a wreck and start again?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Depend on the amount of klm's and condition of the motor and car.

mitchy_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn s pack 5spd/ vs calais S1
buy another motor, n put it in,.. den u can sell ur old motor for wah ever it'l go for it keep it as spare parts.
cheapest way n worth doing if the car itself is in good coniditon.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Its not really a big job to pull the heads off on these motors, why not just take them off and plane them or fit a second hand set?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Before you commit yourself why not find out where the coolant is leaking from. I'd wager it's the inlet manifold gasket unless you have overheated the engine recently. Ecotec heads very rarely fail unless the engine is cooked.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Well i hope the VRs are more tough with the gaskets cause the Mrs has over heated twice, Blew the manifold coolant connector and then the thermostat failed, still seems smooth though. Its never flogged so fingers crossed lol.
I would prolly throw another motor in the car, you can pick them up for about $500 with 120-180k, or by a good condition one, overhaul it then you know its good forever

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
I would fit a second hand VT/X engine, just fit your inlet manifold.

They seem to leak less and run a little better.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Before you commit yourself why not find out where the coolant is leaking from. I'd wager it's the inlet manifold gasket unless you have overheated the engine recently. Ecotec heads very rarely fail unless the engine is cooked.

Have redone the inlet gasket, went great for about a week then started disappearing again. The thing has over heated a few times in heavy traffic since.

I threw some Chemiweld in as a stop gap but I had a thought today that perhaps that's where the prob is? Can that **** get into the motor and do some damage?

Going to get some quotes on each option, but I think I'll get a quote on the aircon while I'm at it, if that's going to cost upward of a grand as well, I'll scrap for sure. The body is in good nick so I reckon it'll sell.

The car has 230K on the clock BTW.

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Chemiweld should not hurt the engine. If it went OK for a week after doing the inlet manifold gasket, then maybe the inlet manifold gasket mating surfaces are corroded so bad that the gasket is not sealing properly.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
Id chuck in a new dong....plenty around and if you lucky you may get a smashed car with a motor with very low ks.if you are even luckier you may even get a super sharged 1 for under 800 bucks with low ks....pays too loook around and wait for waht your wnating.god luck and best wishes...ps if your in melb let meknow and ill atke a look see for you and see whats out there and get back to you with the best price i can find you 1 for.....thanks again