Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Motor stuffed. Opinions on whether to fix etc

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Chemiweld should not hurt the engine. If it went OK for a week after doing the inlet manifold gasket, then maybe the inlet manifold gasket mating surfaces are corroded so bad that the gasket is not sealing properly.

This is my theory as well, picked up another intake manifold that's in better shape before the running rough incident. Just did an oil change as, the oil was very black and sludgy.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Id chuck in a new dong....plenty around and if you lucky you may get a smashed car with a motor with very low ks.if you are even luckier you may even get a super sharged 1 for under 800 bucks with low ks....pays too loook around and wait for waht your wnating.god luck and best wishes...ps if your in melb let meknow and ill atke a look see for you and see whats out there and get back to you with the best price i can find you 1 for.....thanks again

Cheers for the offer and I would accept that, but unfortunately I'm in Perth. If any Perth people know a good place to get an engine swap, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I live in an apartment block and dont have a shed of my own, so I'll have to find someone who can do it.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Id chuck in a new dong....plenty around and if you lucky you may get a smashed car with a motor with very low ks.if you are even luckier you may even get a super sharged 1 for under 800 bucks with low ks....pays too loook around and wait for waht your wnating.god luck and best wishes...ps if your in melb let meknow and ill atke a look see for you and see whats out there and get back to you with the best price i can find you 1 for.....thanks again

Seems a bit much when it only appears to be an issue with the inlet manifold!
Should make sure everything is clean before putting a new inlet manifold gasket on otherwise it will fail again.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Honestly man today alone i seen someone getting rid of an ecotec for free and another for 60 bucks. Both claimed to be good nic. Although you could probly argue that but the point is these engines aren't worth ****. And if you can find some friends or someone to swap it cheap you'll be set. Thats if you cant fix your current one

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Can you believe this? It was only a cracked spark plug. It's running OK again. Still wouldn't mind putting another motor in it in another 10-20k km as I reckon I've shortened the life of the thing anyway will all the over heating.

Reckon the chemi-weld has slowed the water loss right down as it's idling smoother and it's not drying up quickly.

Found a second hand intake manifold but it's got some slight corrosion around the water jackets. I want to get the surface of it cleaned up, looked in the yellowpages online using keywords like 'milling' and 'machining' but it's all mining companies and stuff like that, any suggestions on who to look for to do the work would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
online using keywords like 'milling' and 'machining' but it's all mining companies and stuff like that, any suggestions on who to look for to do the work would be greatly appreciated.
Search for 'engine rebuilders' - milling and machining of engine parts is pretty much all they do.

Also, chemiweld is horrible stuff. It does hurt engines. Only use it on shitters.