Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SS Weird knock - thoughts?

OngorVSSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Hi Guys,

I'm no expert so I wont try to be.
I have a knock on my vs ss sometimes when slowing down to a set of lights or whatever, I brake and when i ease off a touch it knocks. Sometimes when i take off it knocks and when i turn left? This is all occasionally not consistent.
Has been going for a few weeks now, to be honest it doesn't sound terrible, just annoying. I have recently had a new diff installed, service and auto service all came through 100%. (Motor is also running smooth - no bad feelings there).
Temperature does not effect this, nor does wet or dry weather. It feels like sometimes its under the auto and once in a while from the rear, from memory.
Appreciate any thoughts or advice. and/or someone not a total rip off for advice in western suburbs (melbourne).

Thanks,

Glenn.

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
Could be the front swaybar links, my old vs use to make clunking/knocking kind of noise (especially turning corners and sometimes braking) turns out they were old and worn and were pretty lose from being so worn out, got a new set and threw them in and the problem was fixed and the handling was overall much better, not saying this is 100% the problem with your car but worth a little look, heres a link to help you out a little, just give them a good inspection and check if theyre loose or if the bushes are worn out or cracked https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-replace-upgrade-front-swaybar-links.172846 make sure to check all the rest of your suspension while youre at it

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I would say worn sway bar rubber or worn strutt.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
yeah I had a mate who had the same, and ther was little bushes on the top of his strut towers that had warn out and would knock and carry on.

It's easy to check, just take a wheel off and shake the strut tower.

OngorVSSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Thanks alot guys - will check out. Have had the run around something fierce. again, much appreciated...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
It feels like sometimes its under the auto and once in a while from the rear, from memory.

That kind of rules out anything to do with the struts. I would be thinking more trans mount or rear control arm bushes.

OngorVSSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Not sure if my post worked ill try again. The bushes at front and rear are quite worn and looking sad. they are being replaced...
Fingers crossed it was this! Also quick question, in regards to replacing auto, is it cheaper to do manual conversion to 5 speed or replace 4 spd auto? from memory a reco auto is about 1800?
thanks again for your time guys.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Not sure if my post worked ill try again. The bushes at front and rear are quite worn and looking sad. they are being replaced...
Fingers crossed it was this! Also quick question, in regards to replacing auto, is it cheaper to do manual conversion to 5 speed or replace 4 spd auto? from memory a reco auto is about 1800?
thanks again for your time guys.

Well it would be cheaper if you're getting a T5 that hasn't been rebuilt.

I was given a 4l60e once, and I bought a T700 auto for $50, so in that regard its cheaper to stick with the Auto.

There are HEAPS of write ups on here about 5 speed conversions.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
I can bet my family jewels your front sub frame has come loose. Theres a few big bolts holding it on. Go over them with a ratchet and make sure theyre tight.