Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS T5 speedo arrangement different to earlier T5's???

LX_HATCH

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX Torana-Hatch
Hi,

I have brought a VS V6 T5 for a replacement for my buggered VP one. It looks like the speedo arrangement is different.

The VP T5 uses a driven gear arrangement which then couples to the black electronic sender that sends pulses to the speedo and then ECU.

The new (supposedly) VS one has the a new hole which a speedo sensor fits into. The new speedo sensor has no driven gears etc. The sensor counts the teeth on a gear inside the extension housing.

How do I go about fitting the VS T5 into the VP.

Can the extension housings be swapped so I can retain the VP speedo setup.

Ryan

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Does the gearbox look the same or different? Sure u didn't get a getrag gearbox ay? Otherwise I dunno, neer heard of that before ay....

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I've never heard of a T5 for a holden with a PWM reluctor fitted. They are actually all meant to have a conductive tranducer +1 for suspecting you have a getrag from a VS series 3 or a T5 from a later model ford prehaps?

Maybe I'm wrong I'm interested to hear about this.

LX_HATCH

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX Torana-Hatch
mmm. Its definitely a T5 looks the same as a mine. The seller also had another T5 that he was putting behind a L67 and it had the same speedo set up.

As the photos show the usual speedo attachment on the left has been blanked off and a new collar has been welded on the right. SOrry about the flash but inside the collar is a gear that the new style speedo looks at.

P29-10-10_0912.jpg

Close up

P29-10-10_0913.jpg

Thoughts?

Ryan

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
have they modified the box to run the vs speedo sensor. if so maybe its made to take the speedo sensor from an auto box from a vs.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Very costly method of sending a PWM for a VS auto ecu to read. All VS manual ecus were equiped for conductive tranducers or for both. You can buy special speed senders that can read as one and send as another which is allot cheaper.

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
why dont you ask the person you bought it of about it. find out it it was it actually pulled out of a vs

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
That's a pretty cool mod if u find out how to use it lol never seen it before! Saves having to do what I did: run a wire from abs sensor through two speedo correctors and then back through the original speed sensor wire from the auto gearbox.

LX_HATCH

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX Torana-Hatch
Problem is. Is that I have the motor in a torana and am still running a cable driven speedo. I also have a intermediate cable in cable out sender that sends the electronic pulses to the ECU.

So i need to use the left hand hole, i.e original sender.

Any ideas?

Change transfer case?

If i remove the blanking plate would the plastic speedo gear still be in there???

Last edited:

LX_HATCH

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX Torana-Hatch
He said it was out of a VS he also had another T5 that was out of VS, to go in his VS. Exactly the same speedo setup.