Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs v6 overheating still

WOFTAM1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hi everyone !
I'm having issues with my ecotec v6 overheating , it's been goin on for a while , I've replaced the radiator , water pump , tried a new thermostat , a low temp thermostat , no thermostat , replaced both temp sensors , even a new radiator cap ! the fan electrical system seems to work as it's supposed to (tested by unplugging sensors) tried multiple ecu's thinking it may have been a bug in the ecu

Has anyone had this issue or have any other ideas coz this has me stumped !

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What is it actually doing?

WOFTAM1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
On a cooler day temp still runs over half on the guage , as soon as it's a warm / hot day the temp goes straight over 3/4 with the over temp alarm goin off , just can't get it to run cooler , the system doesn't lose any fluid , just won't run at an acceptable temp

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
OK, does it use a lot of fuel? Does it seem under-powered?

A poorly running engine can cause a lot of extra heat. A very dirty MAF can cause the engine to run lean etc.

I'd start with the basics, clean the MAF, and make sure the air filter is serviceable. Change the fuel filter and run some injector cleaner. change the spark plugs if old or make sure the spark plug gaps are correct if they are reasonably new (should be 1.5mm).

WOFTAM1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Fuel usage seems ok , the power feels pretty good . the plugs , fuel n air filters are only recently changed , will pull the plugs out to double check them and the maf , just looking for new ideas

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you running a thermostat now? IF not, definitely fit one.

Have you tried doing a coolant system flush?

Also, are the radiator hoses in good condition? Check to see if the lower hose is soft/collapsing when the engine is hot.

You many need to confirm what the actual running temps are as the dash gauge may be inaccurate.

WOFTAM1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Ok so I'll put the thermostat back in , I've given it 3 flushes in the last month , the hoses appear to be good , but have not checked them for collapse while hot .

I went to get an independent temp guage today but the 3 shops I tried had none in stock

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Are you bleeding the air out?

SENDER TEMP. TO GAUGE 92061500 should be used the older one had problems.
If you went to run a cooler THERMOSTATE DAYCO 82DEC DT22A it will sit on a quter line but you need to get the fan settings changed. If you want to go that way PM The1 about it he did mine.
Mine stays on that line most of the time will go up about a ml. with aircon on. So runs at that temp all the time.

VS Temperture Gauge Heat Readings.jpg

Last edited:

WOFTAM1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
I bleed the air from the system every time I open the system (ie even so much as removing the radiator cap)

The fan settings are in the chip/memcal aren't they ?

I've had a few vs's before this and I can't recall any of them running much past 1/4 temp no matter how hot it was outside

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think the first thing you need to do is establish the actual temps and see what is actually happening, until then it is all guess work.

Yes, thermofan on/off settings are in the tune/memcal.

On our old VS the temp gauge sat on the first large line with the 82°C thermostat fitted, with the standard 91°C thermostat it sat just below the 2nd large line and the thermofan would kick in just after the 2nd line although I had dropped the thermofan on/off settings at 105°C is to damn hot for my liking.

As above, there were issues with the dash gauge sender units, the wrong one would show different readings on the gauge.