Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Shudder at 100 kph

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Warped Rotors
Warped Rim
Warped axle (not propshaft)
Poor front alignment

Remove everything on the list that is rev associated instead of road speed associated. It own't be propshaft or prop bearing or gearbox or engine / engine mount associated. I'd be starting with the rotors (common), then alignment as the most likely culprits.

LowVtWagon

LowVtWagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT Acclaim Wagon
hey mate, just try getting 4 wheel balances. one of the wheels might have just thrown a weight. usually a shudder will come in about that speed then go after about 110km.

mark b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VS 1996 V6 Auto
My car had a similar problem last month, mine has done 210 000km's and shuddered round 100 an would go away round 120. I got a full wheel alignment/balance an this fixed half the problem. I got a REAR CAMBER KIT an that fixed the other half of the problem.

Ive read from a few posts that 98 VTs often need Camber Kits at about 200 000km's ( as well as a new key, fuel pump & injectors! ) I may be wrong but if you put a strut bar in early a lot of these suspension problems MAY be avoided.

gussy17

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series 2 exec
you might have a buckled rim. or if you got all new rotors and they didnt clean the surfaces on the wheel bearings it will cause them to run a bit rougher. depends on the dodginess of the person working on the car

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
I've had the problem since the day I picked up my 2002 CV8 Monaro. Over 100km/h you get a constant vibration that feels like wheel alignment, but the car tracks perfectly. It vibrates through the car and while you get vibration through the steering wheel it's more of a reaction to the actual vibration, and not from the steering.
I got a puncture on my rear left last week and have been using a couple of old steelies, the vibration is still there but I think the wheel balance was out on the mags as it isn't as noticable. I'll be getting a 4 wheel balance and alignment when I replace the tyre and going from there.
I'll probably be looking at bushes and mounts, particularly driveshaft, afterwards too because I think I've got a bit of play and unusual wear.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer principle (who drove the car before they sold it) hit a few kerbs. There's evidence of kerb contact on the rims that I know I didn't do and they're apparently brand new.

If it's a warped wheel or rotor then the Dealer is paying for it under statutory warranty. If it's just wheel balance and alignment then they aren't liable as that could have happened the day I picked up the car and drove it out of their driveway, not that it did.

LowVtWagon

LowVtWagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT Acclaim Wagon
doesnt matter if a car is tracking straight, the toe setting could be out which can still cause premature wear, but still drive perfectly straight.

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
sounds like a wheel weight has fallen off. it happens now and again and it causes the car to shudder cause of the imbalance

C-change

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Wagon
Back again. Finally managed to get the old girl looked at today and after a very comprehensive inspection and several test drives, they beleive its worn shocks causing the problem. After checking records at home they have been on the car since 2003 and done 170K kms. Everything else checks out ok. Propshaft, universal, wheels, weights the lot. All ok.
Will be booked in next week and I'll let you know if it was the culprit. Fingers crossed.

Someone asked about brake shudder earlier, getting none in the front or rear brakes. Braking performance was very good.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
I've noticed quite a bit of play in the left axle. Could this be part of the problem or is that normal?