Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT SS 5.7L or '98/'99 WRX... need your opinions

TIN_MAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
ok guys i'm lookin at selling my vt berlina in the near future to upgrade to something with a better engine and power, i'm looking at either a VT SS with a 5.7L in it or a '98/'99 wrx.

not after downright performance but just a practical everyday driver, i've passed up the opportunity to get a wrx a few times now but seeing the prices fall on a gen 3 vt ss under $10k has me wondering.

is there any faults with the GEN 3 VT SS's?

or is the wrx a better choice?

feel free to share your opinions

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
look your on a commodore forum asking if you should get a wrx or a holden :doh:
with saying that i'd always go for the v8 there an all round vehicle you do almost any thing in them

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
Honestly, i'd rather the wrx, their not 'as' common as a vt ss and look nicer, also if it is a manual would smoke a vt ss off the line. But your not looking for performance, i'd still prefer a wrx as in my opinion look better :)

thedeadwalk

thedeadwalk
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S2
the wrx's are butt ugly man and thay only have the faster jump form the 4wd. and for a daliy i'd live to see you pull a trailer up a hill with a wrx

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
the first 5.7l engines had problems with the pistons not able to cope with the heat. so i wouldnt get an early vt ss with the 5.7l. i would look more at the last of the vts or even a vx. as for wrx's all they seem to do is crash cause people who own them think they are like ken block.

BlackVT5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 5.7
the first 5.7l engines had problems with the pistons not able to cope with the heat. so i wouldnt get an early vt ss with the 5.7l. i would look more at the last of the vts or even a vx. as for wrx's all they seem to do is crash cause people who own them think they are like ken block.

Common mis nomer regarding the early vt 5.7ltr ls1's. all of the ones with piston slap have been fixed as you would be extremely lucky to find with with below 30,000km where the issues arose around.

In anycase go the v8, you will love the sound and power :beer chug:

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Whats your budget (including mods),

You should be able to get a nice VX S2 V8 Manual for around $14k. The Series 2 VX had better suspension and most of the bugs sorted out.

Auto or manual? If auto have you considered a VT Calais or possibly statesman? If manual, then its pretty much an SS or possibly clubsport.

TIN_MAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
.In anycase go the v8, you will love the sound and power :beer chug:

i've driven a gen 3 powered wh stato and loved it so i should like a LS1 powered SS lol.

i just wasnt sure if there were any problems with the VT SS's with the LS1 in them being the first model to come out with them in it. i dont want to buy a lemon lol.

so the series 2 VT's with LS1's are fine as long as they have been treated well?

anything else i should look out for?

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
go for the wrx but only if its blue with gold mags:smoking:

TIN_MAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
dont really want to spend more than $10k or a bit over on a vt ss.

still in the process of saving, i know i would be better off waiting and getting a vx ss 6spd manual but i'd still be happy with the vt.

for 10k it will most likely be auto which doesnt bother me.

and the only mod i want to begin with would be a full exhaust system which most of the SS's you see have already got done to them.