Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT stalling while driving

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
Does the CAS get effected by heat. Would be nice to solve the problem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore wagon
Hi I'm having the same types of problems,so far the cost is around $2000 and Until yesterday I thought it was fix until I went on a small trip and it happened again. I have had all sorts of things replaced like manifold gaskets, gas system pulled to pieces twice the list goes on. twice now on the open road and on traffic light it has just stopped at least twice it sounded like something broke off the car or we had hit something. Its getting past the joke .

RollerGirl77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
OMG my VT does exactly the same thing....except its not especially when the car is hot as I took it on a trip not that long ago and it was fine, mind you that was before it started doing this. Also my diagnostic came up with nothing, thats the issue, how can you see whats wrong when the car only does it sometimes..... its driving me crazy, at least I haven't tried anything yet, might try replacing fuel pump relay, fuses and filter and see what happens............since the check came up with nothing, my crank sensors must be okay..... frustrating.... really don't want to sell it!!!!

VT Fan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim S2 Wagon
I flushed the radiator last weekend and havent had any problems yet. Im thinking maybe the coolant sensor was covered with the gunk that accumulates in a radiator if you only have water in there and no coolant. If it was that would tell the pcm that the coolant temp was higher than it actually is and tell the pcm to shut down, its only a guess. Its suppose to be 35 here monday so i will see what happens then.

Thrillie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hi guys
I know this thread is a bit old now, but I am wondering if anyone has had their problem resolved? I have a VT and I love it...except it is doing this same thing to me. Not all the time, of course, but usually only after about 15-20minutes of driving (and not thrashing it!). It can happen on a cool morning (as it did at 5.30 yesterday morning!) or in the afternoon (as it did, again after only 15 minutes driving in normal city traffic) at peak hour on the Princes Highway, Sydney with huge Double B's bearing down on me at 80ks!.....I've had it to my very trusted mechanic and he changed the fuel pump (relay?), flushed out the fuel filter, etc....That was a couple of months ago. Mind you I haven't been driving it all that much as I don't trust it any longer to just do the odd short journey....but it has started to happen again.

Any further ideas guys?? As I don't know much mechanical stuff (and I'm a chick) please explain what your abbreviations are. Thx.

PS It is a Series II, which I bought 2nd hand in 2000. I was told at the time that it was a former Qld cop car and that it has some sort of special chip.....don't ask me what!!
PPS Unlike some of the others in this thread, my car will restart after about 30 seconds or so....obviously not a heat problem. And it doesn't feel/sound fuel-starved either.

Last edited:

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Is changing the fuel pump relay and flushing ur fuel filter the only thing thats been done 2 the car 2 find the fault??

The cop chip is a myth btw.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
I have a similar problem that occurs while de accelerating from a freeway in 4th or 5th (I have a manual), or when shifting down in second, i think with the clutch fully engaged. The revs seem to just drop down to zero and then pick straight back up again. Yesterday and today the car did not restart straight away, but i was able to roll start it by re engaging the clutch after noticing this or it just restarted because i was still in fourth gear (what happened today). So it seems that it could be quite possibly be getting worse. I have just done a search and dound that it could be the DFI module/coil pack or the Crank Angle Sensor (abbreviated CAS for previous poster). Some other things to mention are that the clutch has had it, so it slips in every gear and yes, I am getting it replaced very soon, the new SMF is on its way. I have replaced the fuel pump, but did not do the fuel filter as it had been done recently.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a similar problem that occurs while de accelerating from a freeway in 4th or 5th (I have a manual), or when shifting down in second, i think with the clutch fully engaged. The revs seem to just drop down to zero and then pick straight back up again. Yesterday and today the car did not restart straight away, but i was able to roll start it by re engaging the clutch after noticing this or it just restarted because i was still in fourth gear (what happened today). So it seems that it could be quite possibly be getting worse. I have just done a search and dound that it could be the DFI module/coil pack or the Crank Angle Sensor (abbreviated CAS for previous poster). Some other things to mention are that the clutch has had it, so it slips in every gear and yes, I am getting it replaced very soon, the new SMF is on its way. I have replaced the fuel pump, but did not do the fuel filter as it had been done recently.

have u checked 4 any fault codes?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah sorry forgot to mention that, I just did today, still none

try finding a mate that has a coil pack u can swap over 2 rule that out. Usually u can rule out the CAS by pooring warm water over the sensor wen it cuts out, if it starts straight away after pooring water on it then that could b ur problem, if it doesnt then its somthing else.