Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT thermos vs AU thermos

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
ok one of the reasons that im lookin into the change over, which i'd originally forgotten to mention, is when my manifold has been finished.. the shroud on the standard thermo fans, will be in the way, n the AU/VT shrouds are smaller..

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
btw did you guys know that over 40km/h they will not come on, i found this out when i was in the process of turboing my vp, i removed the stock fan in the shroud and used a 14" thermo which was piss poor but anyhow i ended up removing the stock thermo from the shroud and making my own brackets to mount it closer and in a spot where it wouldn't clean up any turbo plumbing anyhow with the stock fan there is knocked the temp back very quickly and worked a whole lot better as i mounted it closer to the radiator the ecu would bring it on at 104 like clock work but having the front mount intercooler slowing alot of air when over 40km/h i then wired the thermo up to a thermostat and now it comes on 100 and drops to 90 odd degrees and thats where it works, so don't knock the stock thermo its not the fan at fault but merely the ecu controlling it

STL.THY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP.S2 Berlina with VS.S3 V6 5spd S/C
the davies craig ones i got have grills on the back so theres no problem with shrouds sticking out or getting defected for not having a shroud.. ?

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
its not the stock fan that is the issue here, its the coding in the ecu telling it what to do

STL.THY

Reaction score
Members Ride
yea i was refering to ephics problem

Xadous

V6 turbo tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp v6 Turbo
just wire them on a switch a temp switch its not very hard if your going after market fans

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yea i've heard some good results from dropping the temp in the memcal.. the standard shroud is too big, for what im planing with my custom manifold.. plus i was having minor overheating probs, a quick flush n new coolant did the trick.. but the slim design of the AU's will be best suited.. but wanted to get an idea of which AU or VT would cool any better..

i think the fans turn off over 55km/h

STL.THY

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey ephect i got the piks if ya check your pm

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yea i've heard some good results from dropping the temp in the memcal.. the standard shroud is too big, for what im planing with my custom manifold.. plus i was having minor overheating probs, a quick flush n new coolant did the trick.. but the slim design of the AU's will be best suited.. but wanted to get an idea of which AU or VT would cool any better..

i think the fans turn off over 55km/h

the reason the fans don't turn on over 40km/h is because the natural airflow through the radiator at 40km/h is greater then what the thermo fan can pull through the radiator. changing the thermo fans won't change the 40km/h speed setting. to change that you would need to change the setting in the memcal.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
yeap, im not too fussed about the fans not running over 40kms, as u've meantioned re airflow..

Doh, just re-read my post again.. im a dumbass! i dont really care on the cooling side, its the shroud!!

please ignore me :p