Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt with leaking power rack worth it ?

1999 vt 150xxxks with leaking steering rack worth it ?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Skillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 ve international
This week I’m looking at at clean 150xxxks 1999 commodore vt for $4500, but the steering rack is leaking is this purchase going to be worth buying and fixing or am i wasting my time. Any feedback is appreciated cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 21

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Rack replacement is around 200ish depending where you get it from.

150k km is low and providing no other issues, 4.5k is not unreasonable if the body is straight, paint and interior clean.

An unknown car is always a gamble. Rubber bushes and mounts are probably flogged and will need replacement. That's all I can think of atm.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What's been done to it?

V6 or V8?

Skillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 ve international
What's been done to it?

V6 or V8?
it’s a v6 and I know it’s been lowered other that that I don’t know too much, I am lucky enough to have someone who knows about cars accompanying me when I go to have a look at it this week (description of fb post down Below)

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 36

Skillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 ve international
Rack replacement is around 200ish depending where you get it from.

150k km is low and providing no other issues, 4.5k is not unreasonable if the body is straight, paint and interior clean.

An unknown car is always a gamble. Rubber bushes and mounts are probably flogged and will need replacement. That's all I can think of atm.
Will definitely look into getting the rubber bushes and mounts replaced. But as for the steering rack the replacement cost online varies lots, some places are telling me $600 some are $1500 and I have people online telling me $200-$400. So I guess I’ll have to see ‍♂️

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Will definitely look into getting the rubber bushes and mounts replaced. But as for the steering rack the replacement cost online varies lots, some places are telling me $600 some are $1500 and I have people online telling me $200-$400. So I guess I’ll have to see ‍♂️
Is that just supply or supply & fit?

That rear suspension has sssl springs in it. They will have to be replaced & so will the shocks.

Sounds a bit rough to me, & for $4500.00 l'd wouldn't even bother looking at it.

Keep looking for another vehicle.

But l could be wrong, so if it's not far, go & check it out?

Let us know how you go please?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
My advise....Look at others for sale, in person (not the interweb) and see what they're going for with the condition they're in.

As for the rack....The car is 25 years old, so it's not a surprise it needs replacing....For pricing, get on the phone and ring places for the price...This people on line saying prices aren't the ones digging into their pocket....

When you get prices from places, make sure they are clear whether it is a reco rack, or a 2nd handie and whether it's a supply and fit, with alignment or not....All these factor the price of the rack fitament....

Oh and the rear springs need to get the flick.....So factor the replacement of those into the price of the car too....

Skillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 ve international
Is that just supply or supply & fit?

That rear suspension has sssl springs in it. They will have to be replaced & so will the shocks.

Sounds a bit rough to me, & for $4500.00 l'd wouldn't even bother looking at it.

Keep looking for another vehicle.

But l could be wrong, so if it's not far, go & check it out?

Let us know how you go please?
Had a look and ended up buying it. The steering rack wasn’t leaking but the rubber boot protecting it it’s torn( circled where it’s torn in photo) Will need new tires and the headliner needs a touch up but other than that she’s very tidy for a 25year old car

Attachments

• IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0088.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 12

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Not super urgent to replace that boot...Called a rack boot....Next time you're getting an alignment, replace it then....

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Had a look and ended up buying it. The steering rack wasn’t leaking but the rubber boot protecting it it’s torn( circled where it’s torn in photo) Will need new tires and the headliner needs a touch up but other than that she’s very tidy for a 25year old car
Sounds like you bought it? If so, did you get it for a better price?