Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT2 Berlina front suspension rattle noise

VTowner025

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Hi all, I have a VT2 Berlina, and have noticed the occasional grinding noise and lose rattle (lose rattle occurs more) when travelling over bumps on the road, I have Pedders Suspension replaced all the arm bushes on the front and the Casters have been changed. Could this be the shocks and how the shocks are housed to the car body? or struts?, I am not a mechanic and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Did you replace the sway bar link pin bushes? Did you check the radius rod bushes? I just got out from under my 1998 VT and all of these items were loose. Now I am getting back under to tighten them.

VTowner025

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Hi graham7773, I took the car to Pedders last week for an inspection, they tightened up all the nuts, but did say the rack pinnon on the LH assemble was a little lose from installation from Midas in January, just looking at the receipt from Midas they charged me Bush/Rod Kit-Sway bar Link and R&R Link Pin Kits. 1 month ago I had Pedders replace the lower arm rubber bush and some other bush they said that needed replacing on either side of the front suspension of the car (Don’t have the receipt with me, have to have a look for it) but have a feeling that everything’s been looked at except the actually shock and assembly and how it sits in the car and I guess the Pedders guys cant see it unless they take it all apart.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
shocks can tend to rattle but to do this they would be well buggered lol, just run your hand over you tyres.
If its the shocks you should feel that tyres will have small "flat spots"

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Hi graham7773, I took the car to Pedders last week for an inspection, they tightened up all the nuts, but did say the rack pinnon on the LH assemble was a little lose from installation from Midas in January, just looking at the receipt from Midas they charged me Bush/Rod Kit-Sway bar Link and R&R Link Pin Kits. 1 month ago I had Pedders replace the lower arm rubber bush and some other bush they said that needed replacing on either side of the front suspension of the car (Don’t have the receipt with me, have to have a look for it) but have a feeling that everything’s been looked at except the actually shock and assembly and how it sits in the car and I guess the Pedders guys cant see it unless they take it all apart.

I would be very wary of getting anything replaced thet they said needed to be until after a second opinion confirms.

VTowner025

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Hi wortus, yes you are right trying to find a good mechanic at a fair price is very difficult, like a needle in the hey stack. I toke my car to Midas for servicing, the first time I took it there they said my radiator needed to be removed from the car and needs to be flushed, I passed, than 15,000 kms later I took it back and I asked them about the radiator (different mechanic) and they said it was in an excellent condition.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Didn't Midas get bagged on Today Tonight recently for inventing problems on customers cars?