Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX acclaim: Problem with a dealer PLS help

crucible82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX executive S2
Hi im not sure where to post this qs hence decided to post this here..

i recently bought a holden commodore from a dealer off paramatta rd in nsw... was initially told it was an 01 VX executive.. since it was from a dealer, i didnt think of checking with RTA..after picking it up..i realized that the boot of the car seems to look odd. After some research, i realized that the boot belong to that of the VT series(red garnish) as VX series II executives only had plain boot without the red bit. (basically the boot is that of the VT series commodores)

Called up RTA and had a check with the car's VN number, engine no and rego plates and was told the car was infact an 01 VX II acclaim. Now, i know there wasnt much difference btwn the acclaim and executive and i thot well nvm.. then my gf realized that there was this BERLINA tag on the boot of the car which i stopidly failed to notice and i was like WHAT... went on to check under the bonnet and the VN no and engine no were still the same numbers which RTA said belonged to a VX II acclaim.. hence, im thinking something must have happened to the back of the car such that the car has been in a accident and the dealer or previous owner had the boot changed and when they couldnt get an original acclaim boot, they just replaced it with a berlina boot...

Moreover, when i took the car yesterday, i was told the car was in good condition and brake pads were fine.. was driving home on the car and the airbag lights came on... brought it to a mechanic and was told the brakes pad were only gud for another 800km, battery was bad and to fix the airbags i had to bring it into holden...

The dealer is also unable to produce any log books n kept insisting that the car is accident free.. im skeptical abt this since its a registered acclaim but why is there a berlina boot.

Now, i have an apparent 01 VX II acclaim when i rem being told it was an executive with a BERLINA boot. Im having suspicision that the car isnt a 01 model acclaim but RTA confirmation of the VN, engine n rego number say it is an 01 acclaim..

Moreover with so many problems with the car when im told its in good condition, im thinking shld i keep it.. but getting a refund from a dealer would be hard... they have offered to fix the airbag and brakes for free but im still worried as im still not sure why the bonnet belongs to a berlina when the plates and engine number all say its an acclaim..

What can i do? Shld i keep the car or shld i insist on a refund and complain to fair trading nsw?

I bought it for 8000 with 11mths rego with 175,000km on it...

Feel free to drop ur advice.

Isaac

Hot-Rod

SuPaFlY -LiV3 Surviv3 Di3
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VX Commodore Series 2
Bit price ee for the KM's. How could you miss the badge on the rear haha. You get warranty with dealers 3 months min i think. If car has issues probably been involved in a rear ender collision due to different boot. Which car dealership you go to? the one's in Homebush area? If you are satisfied with the condition of the car keep it, if your not fight for a refund and return it.

Good luck.

crucible82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX executive S2
i went to this dealer called hands on auto on paramatta rd in granville.. i oso dont know how i missed the badge.. seriously thot it was an executive... the dealer himself seem not sure of the car's history.. sigh.. feeling kinda fxxx now.. wondering if i shld make him give me a refund.. the car drives all rite.. its just the feeling of being jerked ard which is making me so ****ed off and wanting a refund...

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I understand that being jerked around like this is damn annoying, but I don't see any problem. You paid for an 'Executive', found out it is an Acclaim which is better, and it has a Berlina boot which has that big red plastic piece on it which I think looks better. So really all I would do is take off the Berlina badge stick on an Acclaim badge, get a mechanic to do a complete check of the car. Get every little problem fixed by holden, and then try and hit them up for cheap servicing or something for jerking ya around.

-Adrian

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I agree with acarmody the Acclaim does have more features than the Executive, it has extra safety features. Just make sure that they fix everything that is covered by the 3 month warranty. Good luck with it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Maybe the previous owner had a spoiler on the boot and rather than repairing the holes, just put another boot on it.

I agree with the above as well, you have an Acclaim when you thought you bought an executive.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
what does it say on the dash?? surely the badging there right infront of you (well, right infront of your passenger i s'pose) would have tipped you off as to its true model.
if overall your happy with the car, then i dont see what the problem is. as for it having a different boot, its a 7-8yr old car so its quite possible its has a little bingle and needed some body repairs somewhere along the line - either that or a previous owner may have just changed the boot because they prefered it, which is actually a common thing with VT-VX's although its usually only the garnish which is changed.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
If you were happy with an exec for $8000 you have now got the safety pack for free virtually. You did agree to purchase the car as is and the dealers make sure we sign this legally. When you negotiate repairs that would have been your chance to say, put the right boot on it thanks.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The boot doesn't render the car unroadworthy so the dealer does not have to replace it.

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
I dont under stand what you are worried about you got a acclaim when you payed for a exec and you got a calais/berlina boot garnish with it which is better then the standard one its a win win situation
if you got it from a dealer it has 3 month warranty so get them to fix any problems

PS if you want a plan boot garnish i will swap you for mine