Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX Ignition Barrel

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hi guys, i got a VX SS, drove to work all fine, parked it for a few mins before moving it. Went to move it and key won't turn the ignition to unlock barrel, never had a prob before. noticed the Steering lock is NOT working as you can turn the wheel but when you put key in barrel it wont turn.

I assume it's the barrel, so i will need a new barrel and key. Are the ones on eBay ok? think about $50 or is there another kit to get?
Does any one have some instructions as to how to do barrel, never done one before.

Car is on side of road so want to sort it out asap, any quick fixes to get it home?

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
utube...has stuff... plenty on it...Id recommend getting a locksmith to sort it for you...cause if you dont get it right you might end up with locked steering while your driving... some locksmiths actually have the genuine GM barrels for cheaper than Holden dealers ... I took my car to a locksmith for peace of mind...got him to cut a new key as well....when keys get worn they dont fit the lock like they should...

Last edited:

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Yeah you might be on the money there, getting a locksmith to come out... just got quoted $300 to fit new barrel and use same key.
Vaguely remember reading something about problems if not done right some time back...

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
this week, lock smith quoted me $86 for genuine barrel, coded to my key, supply only
now the bad news, you have to turn the barrel to remove it

Reactions: Lex

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

Done this on a few cars, once you drill out the worn lock pin your good to go

The barrel cannot lock the wheel once the ignition key is turned on

Removing the barrel is simple with some cable ties and a small allen key

Watch the whole video then follow it step by step....simples

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon

Done this on a few cars, once you drill out the worn lock pin your good to go

The barrel cannot lock the wheel once the ignition key is turned on

Removing the barrel is simple with some cable ties and a small allen key

Watch the whole video then follow it step by step....simples
Could of used that system a couple yrs ago.

I had a spare steering column, so just used that with a new barrel & a couple of new keys.
Had it done at a locksmiths, so they wavered the barrel to what was needed for my car. I think $180.00 all up?

Last edited:

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
cost me nearly 100 bucks at a locksmith to replace the barrel i pull it out and reinstall late 2021 it starter to stick a bit in the ute

mustive broke the lock when i install the new barrel so i got a new genuine lock here and i tried my old barrel and it slides in and comes out really easy thats a another job down the track

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I recommend that top video. I followed it when my ignition barrel stuck recently. That said though, I wasn't entirely happy with the result and ended up just swapping mine with the one out of a donor car. Put the key from the donor car into my remote and haven't had a problem. I also removed the driver's door handle so I only need the one key and it has been kicking around on the floor in my car for about 6 weeks now lol. Problem for future me. That's what the RACV is for.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Locksmith turned up, turns key and starts it first go lol, been there for an hour trying and he does it first go. Anyway moved the car to a safe spot to work on, pulled barrel out, changed wafers in lock and new barrel... look about 15 mins $280 and all good to go again.